I Forge Iron

International Blacksmiths Festival 2014

What sort of accommodations are available and at what sort of cost? I don't wish to seem Scrooge like, but for us poor folk from the colonies it's quite relevant?

Ian

Reasonable and fair costs were a factor that we included from the very outset as many of our community are financially challenged, nothing wrong with being prudent, and that is one of the reasons we have so many options based on the basic entry price, (Local campsites can cost upwards of £20 per night to just let you put a tent up on the grass, and I think that's not on,  there is limited space, but spaces available at the moment)

What the Dwarf said is possibly the cheapest way as it covers all the event from the day before to the post show day.and with what's going on after the show closes to the public, possibly the best option, no travelling, bar on site, on site social area etc, whatever we want to make it, catering on site from 7.30am 'tl late.

Locally there are various caravan and chalet parks, Bed and Breakfast establishments, through to 5 star hotels for the ones requiring such attention. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was younger I slept on park benches in Luxembourg, floors in train stations in Germany and I asked to sleep in police cells whilst hitchhiking in Africa(weary of the wild animals- 2 legged) but alas, I'm a bit older now and bying a tent etc. from Aldie's just doesn't appeal to me quite as much as it used to, funny that!

A jaunt to the UK with flights, accommodations in London, car rentals, the occasional sandwich etc. has been known to set one back a bit so I'm trying to get a feel for the costs of staying in a b&b(usually pricy) or cheap hotel? What pray tell is a chalet park?

Is there any sort of shared accommodations that one can partake in IE. A room in a bungalow, couch in a cottage, bunk in a hostel ?

it is a major holiday time in a major holiday area so a lot of places will be booked up in december.

WHAA..... I was thinking about 4 days in the middle of August, did I miss the boat some where??????

When I was younger I slept on park benches in Luxembourg, floors in train stations in Germany and I asked to sleep in police cells whilst hitchhiking in Africa(weary of the wild animals- 2 legged) but alas, I'm a bit older now and bying a tent etc. from Aldie's just doesn't appeal to me quite as much as it used to, funny that!

A jaunt to the UK with flights, accommodations in London, car rentals, the occasional sandwich etc. has been known to set one back a bit so I'm trying to get a feel for the costs of staying in a b&b(usually pricy) or cheap hotel? What pray tell is a chalet park?

Is there any sort of shared accommodations that one can partake in IE. A room in a bungalow, couch in a cottage, bunk in a hostel ?

Hi Ian,

Chalet park is a term like  "glamping" basically they are sheds, may be posh sheds, but sheds, or they could be wood clad caravans, 

Glamping is a corruption of Glamour Camping, just an excuse to jack up prices of romany type caravans, yurts, tepees, sheep herders huts etc some more luxurios than others.

We do have the hostels for international travellers, backpackers etc in Exeter 

There are also travel inns that do rooms per night that can have multiple occupancy.

WIll you have access to a vehicle, or be relying on public transport?

This may help

http://westpointexeter.co.uk/visitor-info/local-area/accommodation

I am really looking forward to this and will be certainly trying my best to glamp, or at least a blacksmiths version of same.
And mead, I shall get some mead!!!!!
As well as doing the smelt I am going to try and bring a lot of show and tell so ......what do you all want to know about making iron and steel from ore......

I'll be doing everything a 16 year old Icelandic dude who beats metal can to go there, don't wanna miss out on something like that

well, i did what i could and appearantly there is a sea-fishing tournament the same weekend so i won't be able to go, i really hope this becomes an annual thing or something.

Yet more questions from the dunce in the room I'm afraid.

Tickets ordered, paid for etc but they've not arrived - are these being posted out? If so when should I expect them?

What facilities are available for those of us camping? I'm guessing it's the usual type of toilet blocks you see at shows, I'm assuming there will be a shower block of some kind?

All the best
Andy

Yet more questions from the dunce in the room I'm afraid.

Tickets ordered, paid for etc but they've not arrived - are these being posted out? If so when should I expect them?

What facilities are available for those of us camping? I'm guessing it's the usual type of toilet blocks you see at shows, I'm assuming there will be a shower block of some kind?

All the best
Andy

Hi Andy,

Tickets are picked up on arrival and production of the email from the ticketing company (tictail?)

Showers are available in the main forging area which is accessible to all

Toilet facilities are some with WC facilities  Mainly located in areas with mains drainage connected.

Others in camping area and elsewhere are Portaloo type but with attendants on site to maintain/clean throughout the day, emptied and cleaned each evening.

This combination was decided on as if there is even a remote possibility of the water supply/drains failing, then site could be shut down due to H &S requirements.

Nothing simple these days, got to cover the possibilities.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

long time  :)  I'll be tagging along with a couple of folks, just been waiting to confirm that we've all got VIP passes for it.  Might be a last hurrah for me for a spell but I can bore you with all the details when I see you all, preferably over some mead.

Hope you're well.  Looking forward to meeting Brian B. finally, missed him while I was over in the states but love his work.  Be good to see Owen again as well, still using that old beater of a swage block he sold me now and then :)

all the best for it mate

IAN

• 2 weeks later...

Its a family event for ALL the family, so the answers is yes!

Looking to be a great event for whatever the reason.

Brian Brazeal and Karen will be there with 4 plus 1 of the Young Smiths, Alec Steel, Daniel Lea, Dan Riffe, and a new member with his L plates on, (as have we all) from Holland - Reinier Hoving

Hector Cole, Paul Allen, Pete Crownshaw, Stephen Lunn, Owen Bush and Mick Maxen, Ian Thackrey, Iron Dwarf, and many others