I Forge Iron

Forge plan

Bmt1234

So I want to start blacksmithing and have been reading all of the threads about how to make your own forge. I have compiled a few ideas and this is what I have come up with.

I want to clay the brake rotor/ fire pot but can't find any fire clay if any one knows where I could get some it would be greatly appreciated.

Good Morning,

Fill out the rest of your information. Where do you live, third rock from the sun??

For what you are talking about, it doesn't have to be fire clay. Clay from the ground or river bank works good. I use ash or clinker with no problem, it is just a filler, it doesn't do anything else.

Neil

Lot of ways to skin this cat. Even tho people have used the brake drum (and hub) Sense Mr. Ford built the first modle "T" it's been regurgitated over and over. It works but its no the only way to go about it. If your going to the trouble of "claying" your forge you can go so many other ways. You can literally use a cardboard box. I always thought one of those big fancy flower pots would work.and look great.

Then might I suggest cutting away much more of the drum? Rivit forges are a pain. Unless you cut a hole in the back you can't heat a bare linger than 22" (the width of most 55's) in the middle. If you cut the drum so it is more than 1/2 removed at the bottom, a d it slopes up to about a third left I think you'll like it more. Also, as your rotor is shown under the drum, just do as Glenn suggests and just cut a hole in the drum, the hat will fit in and the assembly will be supported on the rotor.
Lastly, ditch the pipe cap for the ash dump. Get a exast pipe cap (like on a over the road tractor) and weld or rivet a counterweight to it. Unscrewing the cap is a pain to.

Thanks for the bucket of water ideas I will defiantly use that. Today I found an ok gas grill fr free so I decided to use that instead of the 55 gal drum. So this is what it looks like now.

STOP RIGHT THERE!!!!

Put some good ole mesquite in that drum, fire it up, throw a grate over it and cook up some steaks before it steeeeenks like coal! :D