Found this at the local scrapyard:

IMG_6720.jpg

IMG_6719-1.jpg

The specs:

Weight: 192 lbs

Dimensions:15 in. X 12.5 in. X 3.5 in.

Rebound from a ball bearing dropped from 12 inches: +/- 5 inches

Composition: unknown

Is it worth breaking my back hauling it to the shop and finding a good stump for it?

Thanks, as always

no one said a anvil needs to look like a modern london pattern, the japanese have been using what looks to anyone as a simple block of steel, as well as the long time sawers anvil.  you made a great find, take it home and use it.  It is a perfectly good 200# anvil, that happens to be all face @ 3.5 wide.

Or you can drop it off here and I will use it.

You can mail it to me??

Turn it on edge so the 12" side is facing up, then start forging.  There is absolutely nothing about a london-pattern anvil that is required for 99% of all smithing, and that 192lb anvil will serve you well for decades to come if you mount it properly.

Even if you find a london-pattern anvil next week, that heavy plate will still serve fantastically as an "upsetting plate" by simply laying it on the floor when you need to upset a long bar.

Or, you can mail it to me.....

Looks good to me. If it isn't $1 a pound I would drag it home. I hate pounding things into my anvil hardy and paid another smith to make 4 four inch by one inch bolsters with a hole dead center in each the size of my hardy hole. If I bust one or two of those I will just switch to one of the others. They are welded [by a friend who is a great welder, thanks, Bill!] to heavy tubes with heavy bottom plates, all different heights for different uses.

Dave