I Forge Iron

penny projects?

Alex Ivey (SWABA) gave a demo last year on making cowboys hats similar to those in the picture. These are Alex's but obviously aren't all pennies; I couldn't find the pic of the earrings and his other hats but this should give you an idea. Not all pennies are created equal so some care is needed in selection to get a workable copper content.

post-25728-0-52435000-1380770065_thumb.j

Physically yes you can make Mokume with pennies and nickels, but they are very small, so for the amount of work involved you get a fairly small billet to work with. Better to work quarters if you want to do budget projects, or 50 cent pieces as I recently learned. Also, don't try to use the copper plated zinc type for hot work, very unhealthy fumes can result from overheating the zinc =\

Oh, by the way, I was just looking up the composition of Canadian pennies. For anyone interested, you should stick to those minted between 1978 to 1996.

They are 98% copper, 1.76% tin, and 0.25% zinc.

Earlier than 1978 were still 98% copper, but higher zinc levels. 1997-99 were mostly zinc, and from 2000 onwards were steel & nickel with copper plating.

I got a Cowboy hat at Sofa and saw the die that the maker used.  He just placed the penny in the bottom die and struck the top die with a hammer once or twice.  To make the hat was really quick but I'm sure that it took quite a bit of time to make the die.  He also made ear rings from dimes using the same die.