I Forge Iron

New Coal forge!

Beautiful job!!!

Let us know how it works out.  I would be interested in the slots on the sides.  I had slots on my portable forge very similar to yours (except it is a brake drum model) and I kept knocking and accidentally raking coal out the slots, probably wasted nearly as much as I used!!  Finally, I welded a bar across the opening to keep my coal onboard and now it's much better. :)

I fired it up earlier today for a few hours and it worked great, I made the cut out for longer pieces and there seems to be enough distance between the edge of the firepot and the edge of the table area where I didn't have any problem loosing coal off the sides. I have been using my propane forge I built a while back and haven't used coal much at all lately. But I went and took some lessons and the guy used a forge very similar to the one I ended up building. I really enjoyed using his forge so here we are...

Andy,

That turned out great.  Looks good and a neat way to mount the blower.  I have been using coke more than coal the last few days.  I think I like it better.  A lot less work on fire control.  If I am going to leave the fire for a while I put a hand full of coal on top.  This helps me to restart if the coke dies down.  I also like the coke better for welding.

Be safe and have fun.

Hey gene thanks, I just ordered a bunch of coal from that guy in beavercreek you told me about. going to pick it up on my way to portland next week for the demo Im doing. I was going to order some coke too but he does not have any down there, so figure I will get some whenever I order again. And thanks for the tip about the coke, I will have to try that. After I get through hunting season next month I wanna get down there again and see if we cant work on a few projects.

Thanks everybody, i do think Im going to replace the wheels or at least the wheel bearings. There a but rougher than I initially thought... Its heavy enough that I think the old lawn mower wheels and bearings are not quite enough. And im also going to add a plate on the bottom to hold the bucket to catch the ashes and also put a bit more weight toward the front end. Its a little too balanced on the wheels, wants to flip back when your pushing it around.

You've got the forge, so forge some big wheels!  I could see that beauty with some 20" rims, the circumference being made from 1.25"x.25", use a weldable stand-off/bushing as the hub and run some spokes off of it.  Remember to make the spokes non-straight so they have character.  A nice s-curve would look super sexy!

Thanks everybody, i do think Im going to replace the wheels or at least the wheel bearings. There a but rougher than I initially thought... Its heavy enough that I think the old lawn mower wheels and bearings are not quite enough. And im also going to add a plate on the bottom to hold the bucket to catch the ashes and also put a bit more weight toward the front end. Its a little too balanced on the wheels, wants to flip back when your pushing it around.

Backyard...

I had the same problem on my portable forge.  I originally had 6" steel lawnmower wheels on it, but trying to move it through gravel was a PITA.  I got some 10" steel wheels, 1/2" ball bearings at amazon.  Best price I had found searching around.  They work great now.  Only problem is they are white...funky looking.  Will paint them black.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VOED5S/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item

• 1 year later...

Hi Andy,    

I tried to find you through Etsy, but couldn't seem to get a link to you.  You made me a persian rug holding rack a year or so ago and I need another.  I have sketched this up and would love to talk.  Reply and we can figure out how to share information.  I couldn't track you down any other way.  Thanks.  Randy  

By the way, if you still have my phone number or email address, call me.  I couldn't find your number