I Forge Iron

Inspiration

It's funny sometimes where you get design inspiration from, (probably subconciously more often than not), got any examples of places you've gleaned ideas from?

I'll start the ball rollin at my peril...
A friend has aked me to some abstract scolled bars as garden ornaments, I've got some ideas for the tops which that are like bracken leaves unravelling from their coil and flicking out.

One of my early attempts at being "artsy" was inspired by the junction of a tree branch and main trunk.  Ever notice the change in texture between the two?

I saw something like this.....

MVI_1962.jpg

And turned a railroad spike into this.....

IMG_0859_zps16c1450c.jpg

It was actually surprisingly difficult to forge something so "natural" because I was constantly fighting against the desire to smooth it out, make it symmetrical, etc. The head of the nail was meant to blend into the "trunk".

How'd I do?  Does it look tree-ish?

Don't name most of the critters I make, they go in the general 'for sale' box and see if anyone likes them. I think I sold the last mantis I had a couple of weeks ago at a craft festival. I do butterflies and dragonflys with spike bodies and horse shoes for wings as garden art.

I make sea turtles from horse shoes and that insparation came from the image on a Florida 'Save the turtles' lic. plate. I understand that sea turtles and horse shoes have nothing in common, but a couple of horse shoes cut and bent make a pretty good sea turtle.

Insparation does indeed come from strange places.

Mark