I Forge Iron

Just some newbie questions!

Ragnas

Hey guys im in the process of making a 10"x12" heat box out of 3/8" or 1/2" steel. Here are my questions!

-If I did do it out of 3/8ths would it hold up?

-I plan on starting off making small things, but hope to eventually move to bigger things like Armour and such. Is my forge to small?

-If I wanted to heat treat things (such as large pieces  of armor) would I need to bigger forge or kiln? 

any ways thanks for reading! any help would be appreciated!

-Tyler 

EDIT: Here is a cardboard mock up of the the box.

'>

What you mocked up was very much like how I made mine. I chose to go with 1/2" over 3/8" since the extra cost was minimal and the time in labor was going to be extensive.  I documented most of the build on Weldingweb, and you might find some of it useful to look at. 

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=146321

.post-25608-0-50632600-1378217778_thumb.j

post-25608-0-58922800-1378217798_thumb.j

post-25608-0-06454900-1378217894_thumb.j

Remember that *one* forge will not do everything well---if at all.  Even owning a half dozen forges I've had to dig a trench forge in my backyard for a particular project before.

So customize your first forge to do what you will be starting out doing!  Worry about a bigger forge later.

Looks like you've got a good plan.  I like to see folks willing to write it all down.

The fire pot can be made from 3/8" stock, and many folks use 1/4" stock.  The frequency of your forging will determine how quickly the forge wears out, and that includes the best store-bought fire pots.  If you're just learning and tinkering a few hours a month, a 3/8" thick pot will last you several decades.

Your table looks nice, but I wonder if it isn't over-built.  How are you assembling it?  Welder?  Bolts?

I say over-built because I noted that angle-iron surround you have around the pot.  Unless the top is made from some very thin sheet, there's no need for that much reinforcement.  If you are using thin sheet, like recycling the body of a clothes dryer, a rail across from side to side would be more than enough to keep it from sagging.  With thin sheet you're more likely to rust through the table than have it bow under the weight of the pot.

If you visit the local re-sale store like Salvation Army, you can usually get bed frames for really cheap.  This is a great source for really strong angle-iron, the consensus being that it's some kind of high-carbon alloy to be so strong yet so thin and light.

Wow thans for all the info. I have a little 100 amp stick welder I was going to use to fab the angle. For the plate I could probably borrow my friends welder he has on a trailer witj a generator. I was hopong to score a nice sized plate for the table top but resycled sheet could work.

Thanks again for the info my friend might have some scrap angle bit then again ots just a "might" good to know of a source I would have thought of to optain it!

Outside of the fire pot you do NOT need heavy steel for a forge table. Mine is 14 ga. with a little 1" angle for stiffeners under it and that's a pretty large forge table, in the 3'x4' range. the outside frame is light 2" angle and the legs are 2" sq tube also not heavy weight stock. You can build a forge out of wood and clay, smiths been doing it for thousands of years.

Don't worry about your spelling, we're blacksmiths NOT English teachers. . . Well, o-k-a-y I'm sure there are a couple English teachers hanging out on IFI but they're not grading our posts so don't sweat it. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

Small 90-100 amp 110v stick welders like you can buy at Harbor freight don't generally work well for material much thicker than 14 ga to 1/8" if you are lucky. The heavy stuff will definitely want the bigger machine.

I agree the bracing under the firepot is probably overkill. My table for my forge in the link above was done out of 14 ga at best and it supports my 1/2" firepot with all the heavy pipe tuyre, ash dump etc with no issues. The table is even split at one side of the fire pot and pieced together because I didn't have a full sheet large enough to do it all in one shot.

The only small change I might make would be to make the grate removable. That's the part you are most likely to destroy 1st. Trying to reweld to burned material will be a giant PITA. Do yourself a favor and plan in advance to be able to replace it when it burns.

From cardboard to steel.

I still javent decided between a clinkerbreaker or a grate

I think im going to fab up some plates wi 3" x 3 1/2" holes in them weld one on the bottom and then have it were I can fab new grates and bolt them in also just have the the ashe dump and blower pipes connect to the plates as well.

On phone ATM sorry for format issues.

post-45935-0-79652500-1378512384_thumb.j

The tuyer doesn't need to be particularly thick, automotive exast tubing, thin wall square tubing etc are sufficient. Often Peaple use 2" black pipe or medium wall square tubing. Square being by far the easiest to fabricate, wile pipe is a mater of buying a "T" a flore flange and one short nipple, a slightly longer nipple and a longer still nipple. If you use exhaust or pipe a exhaust cap from an automotive supply with the addition of a counter weight makes a fine ash dump.
Myself, with your set up I'd fab one out of medium 2" square, fab up an ash dump and then what ever you need to adapt your air supply. Less expensive than pipe, looks good and easy to fab.

So I went to the scrap yard that claimed they were open today, and they were not. So I went ahead and got black iron 2" pipe, T, and cap. For my tuyere, I saw a bunch of people recemend a "raised tuyere" to help keep the clinkers out of the way. For the table I got some 1/16 - 1/8 inch bed frame im going to frame in for the table, and get some 1" conduit for the legs, that im going to brace in with it as well.

I still have to get some 14 g steel for the table top, and fabricate my tuyere to the bottom of my heat pot, and buy a blower. Ill post pictures later of my table being constructed.

Joel the bracing under the fire pot was always my plan, I even drew it up to have more then what I actually used (every one on here told me it would have been over kill :P turns out they were 100% right). So here are some pictures of the Tuyere design  (the cap is going to be an air inlet once I drill in holes, not an ashe dump. I plan on making a counter weight hinge or a swivel hinge). And also I picture of my table top, I made the table top out of bed frame angle not quite and 1/8th but not a 1/16th" x 2" x 1.5".  They legs I was planning on using ended up being to then of a meterial to weld to, I would either burn it up or have to lower the amps to a point were it wouldent stick to the angle. So I am going to try and score another bed frame to finish the the legs. Im going to get some 14g sheet (as suggested by a couple people on here) and use that to finish the top.

But hopefully by next week, ill have it up and running :)

post-45935-0-43343900-1378667409_thumb.j

post-45935-0-73961100-1378667411_thumb.j

post-45935-0-57160300-1378667414_thumb.j