I Forge Iron

Rock Island Vise Restoration.

oldanvilyoungsmith

Just got this big ole girl the other day.

She's in need of a new handle for the screw, and for the pivot. As well as a new jaw.  Other than that she runs in and out perfectly, and works well.

My plan is to strip her apart, make the new handles and jaw, strip off all the rust and paint, and repaint her (haven't decided on a color yet).

You can see the size in comparison to the cinderblock.

DSC09372_zps12968ad0.jpg

DSC09374_zps4f519ac3.jpg

Rock Island is my favorite bench vise. Toughest ones built in my opinion. Your looks like there later style with screw in jaw pads.

For screws like that I have drilled a hole in the center and drove in an easy out, square shank and turn them out. Also used sqaure drive inserts before when I easy out wasnt available.

As far as the resto, I would suggest not using a wire wheel, the bodies on these are soft and its easy to round edges and damage the markings.To be honest, I usually knock off the loose paint and use them as is. A vise during use gets pretty dirty and scratched up, and to me I guess its preserving history :rolleyes:

I have an old 4" post vise that my grandfather got out of an old plant here in my home town, I don't know if it was original or not but when I went through the vise cleaning it up after I put it in my shop the jaw plates looked very similar to those and they ended up being plug welded on, I didn't remove them but I figured if i ever had to I could just drill the welds out and either re-tap the vise jaws or plug weld new ones on. I don't know how welding them would effect the vise or the jaws but it has held up well for me over the past few years

Well, I pulled out the bolts with an EZ-out, and they came out easily enough. 

Upon closer inspection....   I still have no idea how they were installed. No apparent slot or anything.  All I can figure is that it's seen so much use it mushroomed the bolt head into itself.  But the jaw isn't all that torn up.   idk.

DSC09379_zps4d2d2ddf.jpg

Well, I got her pulled apart, completely cleaned and degreased, and then stripped off all the old paint. 

So this is how she stands now.
05230976-0528-43C0-82D4-FB13827C5213-661

And I'm trying to decide what color to paint it. Does anyone know what the original color on these was? I don't know if the paint that was on it was original.

These are the 3 colors I have on hand. What do ya'll think?
1240435_546049005462100_1536244017_n_zps

I also have a rock island model 574 and love it.
It has the original paint still on it and it is grey, just a tiny bit darker than what you have. I know it is original paint as when I got it there was still a factory sticker on the front jaw.
If it was me I would go with what I like the most. It isn't like this is for a museum, it is to be used.
I appreciate the post as I have wondered myself how to get them off. But never really needed too.
My handle is 12" long made of 5/8" stock. They turned down the end and press fit a ball on both ends. the final size of the ball is 1.060" on both ends.

I have been giving the slotless screws some thought. Question, are there and perceptible ridges on the face of the screws. All I could think of is a reverse style screw, instead of a slot, a raised blade if you will. Make this thin enough and it would shear when the proper tourqe was reached. This would allow a smooth clean face and the QC to know the jaws pads were tourqed to specs.

Well, I do agree somewhat with the no painting sentiment, but as this is going to be my new hotwork vise, and my hot shop has only two walls, and gets wet with any decent rain, a paint coat is needed to fend off rust.

I decided to go with battleship gray, it just seemed to fit the vise's style.

A0D984A2-73EF-40A0-900E-DB9246F85FBD-379

C511E6EE-0F8B-4046-8F30-2D2B189E0179-379

I also milled out the new jaws the other day, so now they're on and ready to go. It's all finished up, and I'll take some pics tomorrow. I plan to get it mounted this weekend.

ABD444E6-06E4-460D-9713-CF866357C3BC-379

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
  • 6 months later...
On 9/7/2013 at 11:00 PM, oldanvilyoungsmith said:

And I'm trying to decide what color to paint it. Does anyone know what the original color on these was? I don't know if the paint that was on it was original.

I just bought one today and it only has two coats of paint, top most is some crazy green color, definitely not the right color, but, the bottom paint is gray and looks like may be original color. Me, I am going with the gray on restoration of mine.

Edited by Mod30
Trim quote.