I Forge Iron

Materials chart for tool making?

Using the topic title as the search brought up nothing.

Has anyone created a useful materials chart for building the common tools that we use on a regular basis?

For example, the proper size stock for Hammer Eye drifts, Hammer head of differing sizes/weights, etc?

I know for punches and drifts you can just use the diameter rod that you want the hole to end up at, but for odd shapes or uncommon sizes is there something do use as a reference point for a good start?

Sure - use the closest over sized stock available for the size tool you need and grind or forge it to the desired size. Only "YOU" know what you need for tools (shapes and sizes) - you just have to make them to the size you need.

2 things one i know for my quarter inch punch that i use the most is forged down out of 3/4s inch round stock  and it works far better than some that i have made in the past out of half inch round (more mass and less flex in the punch)

this has made me realize how undersized a lot of my early tools are as  they were made on the cheap and with less thought to the overall function and more though to i need this now as a result not many of them survived to be keepers

as well i don't know if he is asking this or not but this might be touching more on shrinkage of hot metal as in when drifting or punching you need to over size slightly or you end up with a hole to small to use

i know there are formulas out there to calculate this kind of thing but i tend to just eyeball it as i am horrible with math

hmmm... yet another occation where the newb (me) doesn't know enough to know that the question he's asking really isn't answerable. Sounds like it's a lot more about personal preference than a set size for a given purpose. Still trying to get out of the machining mentality where you start with one size, and machine it down to another to fit the need. It's more of a use what's at hand and forge it to something that's useable for the purpose at hand.

-link deleted as per owners request-

As far as drifts and punches first you need to figure out what style you will be using. Then the size you need will determine the stock you will need to get the right size drift or pinch. My hammers Eye drift of 1 1/4" stock when I started. I make 5# hammers the most but have used it to make 1# hammers as well I just do not open the eye up as much I mark the side of the drift so I know how far to push it in. I have seen others who have short drifts and they drive it in flush to the top of the hammer. Tooling is a choice you will have to determine and once you start keep on the same style it will make it easier. For me I make most of my punches out of 3/4" stock. I have friends who do repousee and they use all sizes it just depends where you are trying to push metal

I have my own charts for such stuff...... but simply take the size of the stock, find the weight per inch of it, divide that weight into the weight of the hammer you want to end up with to get the length of stock to start with, then add a bit to the length if you're going to grind/cut or otherwise lose any of the mass of the starting piece, fullering a hammer head will add to the length but not the weight.  For total weight add the weight of the handle, which is 6.7 oz for the ones I use.  To make the eye drift, you need to know first what handle to use, make the drift to match the handle.  So the first thing is to settle on the handle, then make the drift, then the hammer head.  1 1/4" stock to start is the least for hammer drifts.  For punches and slitters, they are made based upon the intended use and dimensions will be dictated by that.  See what jeremy k said. 

Measure twice cut once my dear old dad always told me you can always cut/ shave off metal and its a right pain in the butt to add it back.

also its best to not need it and have it, rather than to not have it and need it

better to keep the (scrap/material pile) for future projects rather than sell it.

Measure twice cut once my dear old dad always told me you can always cut/ shave off metal and its a right pain in the butt to add it back.
also its best to not need it and have it, rather than to not have it and need it
better to keep the (scrap/material pile) for future projects rather than sell it.

So that's how it works???

Darn, I cut mine twice, and it's still too short!!!!!