I Forge Iron

Can you please help me identify my anvil?

Hey guys im seth and im new to smithing. I just picked this up the other day and the guy said it was pre-civil war. From what I can tell its colonial pattern, it's 123# and has a 3/4" hardy hole. It looks beat up so I am wanting to know if its a good anvil and if its worth grinding down the surface?

Welcome aboard Seth glad to have you. you've come to a great place to get started, pull up a comfy chair, bring a lunch and something to drink and read IFI.

There isn't a lot anyone can tell you for sure about your anvil, even assuming your description is 100% accurate, you'll need to post a picture or two so the guys who know anvils can take a look. A shot of each side one of the face and if there's anything stamped on, pics of that two. If you use oblique lighting details will stand out much better. You can rub it down with chalk or charcoal then wipe it off with a cloth. This will leave the details below the surface colored so they stand out better.

Do NOT grind the surface down! Chances are if it's colonial pattern the face is pretty thin to start with and grinding it smooth could very well ruin it, you need a minimum thickness or it'll deform.

Just don't get in a hurry, let some of the guys here who are anvil experts chime in, they'll be along soon.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ok my bad I thought I did post pics. I'll try to get more in the morning but this is the best I can do, it looks like someone painted it to keep it from rusting or something. It looks like there might be a hundredweight on it i see "15" on the right side. Thanks for the quick reply!

post-45226-0-81222200-1376275063_thumb.j

post-45226-0-78580700-1376275085_thumb.j

Don't sweat the pics Seth, it takes a while to figure out how IFI does it.

Mac's right, grinding on that anvil would be some kind of criminal. There's nothing wrong with it as is, perfectly usable and on top of that it's a piece of history.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ahh crap now I don't even want to use it now cause I'm afraid ill ruin it... just kidding (sorta). I dont really care about selling it but what is the ballpark value of my anvil? As I've learned with guns old doesn't mean expensive but collectable and colonial sound valuable. I really just want to know if I got taken and if ill have to wait another 200 years to get my money out of it lol. Thanks so much for the replys guys I'm pumped to get some coal fired up in my virgin brake forge!

Even if you did overpay for it, it won't take long once you get the hang of it to get your money's worth out of it.  I just smith for a hobby and fun, but on a good week I can make more than I paid for my anvil, a 200 lb PW.

I paid $200 for it but to be honest I'm not a collector. So I would trade or sell it for something I wouldn't be scared of damaging. I respect the craft and its history too much to ruin a piece of it...I guess ill look for something to beat on like a RR track and try to move this one...

Use like it was intended to be used and you aren't going to hurt it. A little wire brushing on the sides and hammering hot steel on the face will clean it up just fine.

That was a dandy deal for $200, good score.

Frosty The Lucky.

An anvil that old and in that good a condition would do well on the collector market.  It has just enough wear to be "interesting" but not so much that it's views as junky.

The lack of a pritchell hole dates it to prior to 1820 as NJAnvilman noted.  Any other info you can come up with will only add to the value.   Because it's so small, relatively, it would make a great addition for collectors that don't want a real hog taking up space. Considering the great deal you got it for, I wouldn't hesitate to put it out there for collectors to look at.  I could easily see it fetching $3/lb, and possibly more.

I've seen a few collectors that would happily trade a newer anvil in better condition for an older anvil like that.  It's a good piece and I'd been curious to see what's under the paint.  A good excuse to use electrolysis to remove the paint and rust.

I'm in the process of removing the paint, I only like half of one side to be done, i will post some pics when I'm done. I was looking at some other colonial era anvils and I think it resembles a mouse hole, is this a possibility? There is clearly a "15" on the side at the far right I'm unsure if this is the original hundredweight mark or something else. I am seriously considering putting it up for trade but I think re-enacting would be something I might be into. I'm unsure at this point. Can someone shed some light on this or me!

You could reenact. I know I would if I had an anvil like that but that's me this is your anvil so do whatever you want with it you could trade it but what are you looking to get in the trade? Also I'll look in my anvils in America book to see what make your anvil is and what the marks are but I think your right it might be a mousehole then again there was over 100 different anvil makers in England at the time so it might be hard to pinpoint what make it is but ill try my best

Ok I could not "pinpoint" the make of it but it could be a aslop, hadfield and Sanderson Sheffield or a no namer I really don't know for sure but whatever it is its old and it's very usable/valuable. But best of luck with whatever you decide to do with it

I have a Mouse Hole. Mine has a very similar indentation on the side like yours near the base. Almost like a tool mark when it was forged. Mine is a little longer and rectangular. Prolly two inches wide and three inches long. It travels diagonally from the base towards the top. Does yours have a handling hole in the bottom?