I Forge Iron

A New Smithy From Saint Helens, OREGON.

Hello to every one my name is Travis and I am very new to the blacksmithing world. I am a member of this and also NWBA. I hope to make it to the next hammer in at the longview clubhouse. I have just picked up my first anvil and its a RR track about 30 lbs now ill be working on a forge. I dont have a place yet to set up shop but i was thinking of renting a storage unit. Or maby my  Mother-in-law has offered some of her space however I am quite sure it will be loud and drive her crazy. More to come any-how nice to meet everyone and if anyone lives around me maby we could hammer sometime. Later!

Welcome aboard Travis, glad to have you. the nice thing about a small kit is it's really portable. A 30lb anvil, coffee can forge, a few hammers, a couple pair of tongs, a couple chisels, etc. can easily fit in the trunk of a little car so you can find somewhere you won't bother anyone.

Hooking up with the NWBA and the local group is a good move, they'll get you rolling on all fronts.

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome!  And now's a great time to start using the jargon better---remember Longfellow's poem?

Under the spreading chestnut tree the village smithy stands

THE SMITH a mighty figure of a man......

Smithy is the building, smith is the person.  Like calling a mechanic a garage...

I've done a complete smithing kit once that fit in a 5 gallon bucket---except for a stump to place the anvil on.