I Forge Iron

New and larger forge in progress

WmHorus

So I am finally after over a year of thought and preparation to the point of lining a new forge to replace the one I burned a hole or 2 in. This one is a forced gas forge 16 inches in diameter with 1/4 inch walls and 2 feet tall. It is a vertical one, with 5 inch square openings, and removable lid and bottom. This is so I can also close the opening up and do some crucible melts as well. I am planning on 2 inch thick Mizzou walls and the lid and bottom as well will be the same. I bought 1 bag of castable already but think I will need a 2nd to get it done.

The top and Bottom were cut out on a waterjet and the welding was done by a guy in the welding class down the building from me so.......one hint remember to measure the OD twice before you cut...I had the OD from the old forge in my mind he first time I cut and well it ended with those parts making the bottom plate on the stand. And the other was traded for the rebar I used on the inside, after I cut a design out on the top for the guy.

So without further ado....the pics....

post-11447-0-26198400-1374627594_thumb.j

post-11447-0-11676800-1374627654_thumb.j

I have some spare 1 inch  here at the house cut into lengths if you want some.....heck I even have some ready to go billets if you have a mind for that....Drop me a note if you wanna come over my way and get it

• 5 months later...

I finally got the last 2 bags of refractory I need this week so about 120 bucks in all for 3 bags....I have a buddy who is going to let me use his shop to cast it since I need someplace with a stable temp for it to dry and cure properly. I will post some pics of it being done.....

• 2 months later...

The forge was cast on Wed. it took 2 1/2 bags of refractory..lol I bought 6 just in case you never know. Luckily they allowed me to return the excess, but next week I am taking off the carboard forms and then let it sit for another week in open air. then start warming it up slowly with a lightbulb first as recommended by the folks who sold the refractory to me then start some slow slow firings....will have pics when I get the carboard off, it was far to messy to to try and cast with only 2 of us and take pics at the same time.

Well we will see what happens when I get it up and going, its still a couple weeks off since it was cast last week and it is sitting in the back of the truck right now so I can take it into the warmer shop at school for a few days before I start the slow process of lightbulb to start warming it up a little before I put flame to it.

• 2 weeks later...

I went and purchased the ITC 100 yesterday ugh 73 dollars a pint, and started looking at the mixing ratio's the paper that came with it was got a gallon of mix to 1/2 gallon of water so now I actually had to do math, but thankfully I googled it and it stated 1/2 pint to the pint which seems a tad wet to me so I will have to see what happens....that is after I shape out the inlet a bit for the propane, right now its a straight shot into the chamber but it needs to have a litttle slope down into the chamber.....

Remember to wet (butter) the refractory before applying the ITC-100. It doesn't need to be dripping but just wet. A dry surface will draw the water out of the wash where the are in contact and keep them from bonding properly. It's the same as mortaring masonry, you gotta butter it first.

Frosty The Lucky.

thanks frosty, my main problem atm is getting the fire started in it, I get it lit, hit the fan for the blower and it goes out...need to find someone local who can take a look and help me get it going. The design worked fine with the old forge, but I upsized it a little and now....

how it worked with the old one was I lit it off at 3-5 psi on the dial then hit the fan and dialed it back to get it running at almost 0 psi then adjust the fan opening. Now since this is a larger version of the old one, I light it at 5 psi  hit the fan and when I start dialing it back it blows itsself out, if I try raising the psi it starts sputtering.,...so not sure yet whats going on, I had it almost going for a few minutes earlier but once again when I started dialing it back after adjusting the airflow into the blower it blew itself out again...

Hmmmm, it shouldn't be doing that. Were are you introducing the propane in the burner? Have you gotten it up to heat before adjusting? I suppose you might have a set up that needs both adjusted at the same time. That's just a guess so don't give it much weight but it might be worth trying.

Frosty The Lucky.