I Forge Iron

New and larger forge in progress

WmHorus

Windancer reminded me to stick it in a vise and start it up to see whats going on, I have it in my head for some reason that I am running low on propane.......

I don't try running mine outside the forge but it's useful if you don't have  a good torch. However I MUST state vigorously as I can, do NOT try lighting it if you have it in your HEAD!!!

Low on propane could do it but it'd show as a pressure drop when you open the burner valve.

Now get that OUT OF YOUR HEAD!

Frosty The Lucky.

Well I managed to get it sputtering run long enough to burn off the last of the cardboard liner that was the form....*wait for it*

* Kneels down and opens his Gi pulls out the Hari Kiri blade and proceeds to gut himself ritualistically *

Ok this is what I saw even after 3 weeks of drying out i noticed damp spots developing around the bottom edge of the plate the force sits down upon, this however isnt the main reason for my dispondant behavior, with the cardboard layer gone, I was able to see a hairline fracture in the refractory starting at the rear openings lower left corner and heading all the way down the length of the pour. I am not sure how deep it is yet but I have a feeling its bad, very bad. However the sputtering still continues though I checked my propane tank and there is no way its nearly empty , usually I can easily move a 100lb tank that is empty and I dang near got a hernia lugging this through the shop. Next I tried shortening the feed line for the propane, it was abnormally long because I kept the tank on the other side of the shop from the forge. I figured it couldnt hurt to try shortening it, but that didnt remedy the sputtering issue or the blow out when I reduced the pressure. Thats where I am tonight folks...fearing failure in this project....I am stepping out of the shop for the night..or 2 or 3 or week.

• 2 weeks later...

I started thinking today after watching the fire go for a couple minutes that, maybe the problem is I need a bigger fan, the flame is not really even getting past the openings. So the thought also came up that could I also possibly need a bigger orifice. .. any thoughts guys?

I don't know what to tell you, I don't know enough about the problem. What I know is it doesn't work, sputters at best. That's like saying, "my car doesn't move, how do I fix it?"

blown burners are about as simple a gas burner there is.

How about some basics:

Propane rated hose, regulator and gauge. Right?

What kind of blower are you using? A blow drier will work just fine, not perfect but dandy. I don't know what you mean when you say "fan." A fan could be made to work but be a PITA to modify till it did.

What's the gas supply diameter in the burner?

Where in the system is the gas inlet?

That's about it for making a gun (blown) burner, air supply and propane, adjust the ratio and make whatever kind of fire you want. There is NO easier gas burner to make, that's probably why they're so popular.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty thanks, the 'fan' is a blower from blacksmiths depot, that puts out 112 CFM, its the medium sized blower, there is one more larger, it does 124 CFM if I remember correctly, its one of the ones Grant Sarver used to sell. The Diameter for the outlet feeding into the pipe system is 1/4 inch or so, the pipe feeding into the forge is roughly an inch diameter....I will see if I can take a couple pictures to show the setup later tonight....