I Forge Iron

Crude neck knife and an in progress recurve

metal99

Hey everyone, I haven't posted any of my knives in a while. Mainly because I do mostly stock removal.

This first one is a small neck knife forged from an old wood chisel from Germany.

76BB551B-0223-4F37-B020-94E08FDA39FF-553

31EAAFF5-A832-4AC0-8678-64ACA73BB38F-102

This is a recurve fighter I'm in the process of forging. It's forged from 5160. I think I am going to do the same paracord wrap on this handle.

20F47134-3D18-4EAE-AC2B-9CCEE7D3CD0D-151

40AAB0BC-530B-4AB3-92C2-EB5CBCE2F076-102

Thanks guys, I think I'm addicted to forging now :) it's all I think about... that and anvil hunting lol. I'm trying to find a 150+ pound anvil but apparently they are made of gold around here. Most of the anvils posted for sale are over $4 a pound!!! I don't get it...

Anvils are expensive where I'm from as well, I had a friend bring one down from Pennsylvania that I found on craig's list for me.  As pricey as they are, I'd say they're worth it considering what you can do with it.  Look at it as an investment, I made my money back for the used anvil I bought in a week just as a hobby.  For knife making you do want something with a flat face, but it doesn't have to be an anvil.  Search the forum for alternatives.

Whose anvil is it in the picture though?

That is one of my anvils. It's got a rough face but its the only one I have a hardy tool for. I have an almost mint Trenton but it was broken in half at the waist so it lost a lot of rebound after the repair.

I want to get a bigger anvil tho. All of mine are around 100lbs

• 1 month later...

Love it. I can see you were inspired by Basher/Owen Bush... he tends to do that, I'm a victim too, haha

Thanks man, I can't say I've heard of him. Not saying that I haven't seen pictures of his work but the name doesn't ring a bell.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work metal99. i really like the small and large "curly handle" knives. Did you do the wrap yourself? how would you recommend a newbie go about learning how to do that type of wrap?

Thanks :) it was actually pretty simple. There are some good tutorials on YouTube just search for "para cord handle wrap"

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Not to sure what happened to the picture I had uploaded but I have the knife finished now.

I do all my forum posting on my phone and can't upload to the site directly so photobucket is my only option.

what happened is you posted off site and it got lost. sorry we can not help you
I chopped up a 2x6 and it shaved quite well after that. I might make the cutting edge a little finer but we will see.
null_zpsb70283f2.jpg

AAD5A43C-1645-4C12-A405-2A1DC8590E4A.jpg