I Forge Iron

1ft long rods

At the construction site, I saw 1ft long metal rods about 1/2" - 1" thick laying in bundles. They looked pretty used, but since I had only asked about the wood I didn't take them. What kind of steel do you think they are? I didn't see any edges like rebar. Also, do you think he'd be willing to part with them? Xxxx he gave me access to about 10 2"x16' board plus smaller stuff

Mandoro, ANYTHING you can get for free is to be had "at the right price". Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. When looking to put a shop together take what you can get when the getting is good. If you have succesfully made aquaintences with the boss on a jobsite for access to scrap stuff realise that time is fleeting and the window short. RETURN the favor, (beer, pizza etc.) Perhaps you may parlay this into a continuing relationship from jobsite to jobsite. Yes, even rebar will be usefull in the future ( as stock for making jigs) and rebar doesn't always merit the scorn it recieves in general; When fullered and forged down it serves as perfectly suitable stock for such inexpensive items as planta hangers, etc. at flea markets and such. Money in the kitty for further expansion of your efforts. FREE STUFF IS THE BEST STUFF!!!! Dan:)

Sorry Jens but I don't I didn't have a camera and I didn't think quick enough.

Dan, I know! Which is why I am jumping on this asap. You wouldn't believe the drool that came out of my mouth when I saw that bundle of metal. I didn't ask the above question as to rule the metal out, I asked to see what it is classified as so I know what I am getting my hands on so I don't misuse it.

I found out what they were. I saw the boss man today and asked him. He told me they were slick dowels. Apparently they are used where joints are located so that the concrete can expand and contract. Basically they are rebar without the ridges is what he told me.

The measurements of them are 17" x 3/4" thick and weigh about 5 pounds each. I have about 40-50 of them in the back of my truck. On top of that my friend who helps me likes to sell junk metal so I let him get everything else. It ended up to be 820lbs of rebar and he got 47$ for it.

Well I am more like a friend of mine called Terry of whom it has been said: "One Man's trash is another Man's tressure; but Terry's trash is *NOBODY'S* treasure".

Unlike some people have said there is scrap that even I don't save for "later". Used to have a deal with the local alley crawlers: anything out at the curb was fair game. Anything in the yard was a risk to life and limb...