I Forge Iron

anvil shooting

I tuned into the History channel tonight and what do you know, Larry the Cable Guy was shooting anvils. I'm sorry I can't recall the name of the fellow he was visiting except his first name is Gay and he has quite the anvil collection. It was an anvil shooting contest and most of town turned out to watch the shoot. The mayor awarded the prize a Championship Anvil Shooting Cup.

It was the most anvil shooting I've seen on TV yet. cool.

Frosty The Lucky.

I agree with jmccustomknives. It hurts me a little to see them abused, but it sure looks like fun.

Frosty, the guy is Gay Wilkinson. Here is an article about the, filming it: http://dailyjournalonline.com/entertainment/local/updated---shooting-in-farmington-gets-national-attention/article_4051bb12-cc40-11e2-acd7-001a4bcf887a.html

hmmm...where's the disclaimer, kid's don't try this at home.  Reminds me of this one, another stupid (but cool) way to seriously mess yourself up.  Among other things notice the lack of safety goggles, not to mention what happens if it misfires.

And here I was thinking that they'd be shooting junk anvils, but those looked like ones that should be put to work by someone.  At least the bottom one looked like a nice Peter Wright with good edges.  I'm in the sad camp on this one.

OK, there's no clamps to hold it down so the compression is released without restriction, the tiny charge (compared to the size and weight of the anvil, it goes up and comes down in the dirt (hopefully). What real damage could there be?? They've been shooting anvils for probably 200 years. Is there any documentation on damages to these anvils? I don't see the problem. They aren't going out and commandeering peoples anvils against their will. Can I light the next fuse?? (Where's that "stir-the-pot" smiley when you need it?) :P

This video gives more historical info on anvil shooting as well as information on the owner/shooter himself.  I do like what he has on his roof.  Looks like no anvils were harmed in the making of this video.  Yes, hopefully it goes straight up only.

Did anyone read that article

" the shooting of an anvil off the base of another anvil was used as both a warning system"  "Villages who didn’t have the benefit of a cannon for protection sometimes used the shooting of an anvil to ward off would-be attackers"

What a bunch of baloney. No village had a anvil explosive security system. Some people will make up any "historical facts" they think are funny.

If a town was attacked in the colonial days people used guns for security. News these days is pretty depressingly inaccurate. 

I am also surprised a TV program would go and film a anvil shoot, was it not just a year ago Discovery filmed a anvil shooting competition and some famous anvil shooter blew up his hand and injured the film crew?

It's not like they shoot an anvil once, destroy it, and search craigslist for the next one, depriving someone from upgrading their piece of RR track. 

I've heard many different stories on the origins of anvil shooting. I think it was all started by a very distant uncle of mine that had a jug of shine in one hand, a pipe in the corner of his mouth, and said "Hey ya'll, watch this!!".