I Forge Iron

I found the one

If it has the little ledge on the base, horn and heel sides, it might be a British Peter Wright. The British weight system is based on hundredweights, each being 112 pounds. The first 2 would indicate 2 hundredweights, i.e., 224 pounds. The numeral 1 would be one quarter of one hundredweight, 28 pounds. The last number is odd pounds, 14. Added together, if my addition is correct, that would be 266 pounds total.

Assuming the anvil is that heavy and it is a Peter Wright, and considering that you paid $50.00, you got a real prize.

Sayings and Cornpone

"A camel. A horse made by a committee."

Ugh!  Excuse me while I turn green with envy!!!  Where were all these fantastic deals when I was anvil hunting?  Don't get me wrong, I love my anvil, but really $50?  Mine is a 190 lb PW that I paid $250 for that's no where near as good as shape as that one.

Nice score...very nice score!

Great score!  I'll need half an hour or so to stop hating you. Brush it off and take some hot steel and a hammer to that beauty, she deserves it. What the HEY? I've stopped hating you already. DRATS, what's the use. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

$50!!!!!  

That's a definite steal.  The anvil looks very good in the pick, though it's missing the tip of the horn.  Considering the "discount" you got, I wouldn't bother complaining to the seller, though......

Clean it up and post more photos so we can all drool.