I Forge Iron

Thinking about going on a power hammer hunt!?

The other day I went to my local steel yard to pick up supplies for a project. While I was waiting for them to pull my order I was looking around admiring all the old machinery still in use which got me to thinking. There are a lot of old mills in a couple of towns close to where I live just setting empty as well as iron and machine shops that have been in business forever still up and running. The question I have is what do any of you think the chances are that one of these run down mills or possibly one of these shops still in business might have a power hammer( a little giant or others) stuck back in a dark room somewhere just waiting for the right person to revive it?? Have any of you had the same thought or have gone on a similar hunt which proved fruitful? If so, how did you go about or will I just be wasting my time. I already have an air hammer I built but I really dig these old hammers, they just have style! 

Welcome board, glad to have you. The worst they can say is no if you ask so why not. Heck, let your fingers do the walking in the yellow pages. I'm pretty sure a shop foreman will know what's taking up space out back. Heck, a machine shop steel yard not far from here has a 25lb LG in the back but the owner isn't interested in selling it Or getting it running. go figure.

Frosty The Lucky.

I personally know of such finds in everything from a sugar refinery to a glass manufacturer as well as a lovely small steam hammer at a steel casting company.  Old school manufacturing almost always had a smithy as part of the maintenance department.  Shoot I went to an auction of a car repair business that had been in the same location since 1918 and *they* had a forge, anvil and large postvise tucked away; come visit my shop and I can show you that postvise...

Have any of you had the same thought or have gone on a similar hunt which proved fruitful? If so, how did you go about or will I just be wasting my time. I already have an air hammer I built but I really dig these old hammers, they just have style! 

Welcome ararofan, You've got the bug! I've been living with this for going on 40 years and you'll never get over it, sorry......I'm kinda in the later stages of this and my skills at finding hammers are still sharp, the last 50lb Little Giant I spotted I was traveling at 70 mph in my pickmup when the ''light'' came on in my head......I spotted off to my right,no less than 100 yards away, in amongst weeds and other junk the ''Sahra Connor''of my desire :wub:  There's no other rush quite like it! It was all for naught and the owner said it was his Dad's old hammer and was quite content to let it rust away. Lucky for him it wasn't a Beaudry ...... :ph34r:

Thanks for the encouragement and the info guys. I've had the "bug" for about 4 years now and I think you know you have it when you want to learn every aspect of the craft and that includes owning as many tools of the trade as you can get your hands on. Before I picked up my anvil on craigslist a few years ago, I would drive by this one farm house that had what looked to be a 200 lbs anvil in the front yard rusting away as "yard art" I must have stopped a half a dozen times but wouldn't sell, made me sick. This area is full of old mills long since closed and I can't help but think there's some gem in there wanting to go home with me. Hickory steel in where I get my stock and they have been in business for ever and have all these big,old, wonderful machines. Since I've been going there I've become friends with the guys in the office so I may start my hunt there. Thanks again!

Don't forget to take a box of donuts and coffee for all. Good PR is important. A nice little hand forged gift for the secretary is one of the most effective Ins I've ever found. NOBODY knows what's what in a company like the secretary. Get in his/er side and you're in like flynn. There's a thread here called something like "give aways" or similar, about little gifts for the boss, secretary, lead man, etc.

Frosty The Lucky.

Great idea Frosty! I trade iron work for items of interest all the time, I'll look that thread up too! And of course living in north carolina we're the home of krispy kreme doughnuts, as good as money in some places.

They are still out there. I showed a picture of one of my rebuilt hammers to a guy I worked with and he said my mother-in-law has one of those. He said she wanted what her late husband paid for it in 1951, $200 I paid for it a Mayer brothers not Little Giant this one made in Wisconsin. took it home oiled it up pit a motor on it runs great it is niw my plow share hammer.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Johnnie

Go for it Aparofan. I found a sweety just the other day. Check my post '' Got it my little Beaudry Peerless''

Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got lucky! Spotted a FB post where a gentleman was selling a 100lbs LG cheap last week. Most times something like this is LONG gone or i procastinated just a little too much.Yes it needs some TLC, but it's mine as of today! Needed a tow truck to get it out of the barn it was in and I was fortunate that a traksteer was available to unload. At 3400 lbs, it had a hard time lifting it. Looking forward to the rebuild as soon as my remodel of my shop is done. May have to go take one of the Little Giant rebuild classes... post-35726-0-63789100-1374897342_thumb.jpost-35726-0-63437500-1374897751_thumb.j

For the Little Giant experts out there, the serial # is P364. There is a small brass plate under the raised lettering on this side of the picture stating "Herbert Moore Machinery Company San Francisco". Anyone got a foot treadle and linkage they don't need?post-35726-0-57702100-1374968319_thumb.j

lloe01, wonder how much they're asking for that firepot in the bottom of the photo.....

I've been wanting a power hammer for a long time, but I can't make my mind up.  I love old machinery so getting something big like  a PH would be wonderful even if I don't use it!