I Forge Iron

Forge lighting question

kyler

I'm a newb but if this works for me it should work all : ) . I just use about 5 - 6 sheets of newspaper. I crumple the individual sheets up and stack in a mound bordered by coke from previous fire. Light, let start, begain adding air and proceed just as others have described adding coke and coal. Making a charcoal fire to make a coal fire seems like un needed hassel to me.

I also started out with smaller holes in my forge, but ground those out to largers slots pretty quickly. I'd agree with the reccomendation to get more air flow.

I used to do newspaper as you describe, then found the charcoal first method was quicker for me.  Often times I have small windows of forging opportunity, so I want to get it going as fast as possible.

sorry guys for nit checkin in:(

Clean out the forge of ash & small pieces, then pile of charcoal size of a 1-2 fists, air from a squirrel cage blower full blast, light pile of charcoal with propane torch 1-2 seconds til it glows, then pile around coke. I haven't timed it, but seems pretty fast 5-10 minutes maybe.

i think the small ashes and all the crud from the coal has blocked my air flow.

Thanks for the info guys!

sorry guys for nit checkin in:( 

i think the small ashes and all the crud from the coal has blocked my air flow.

Usually for me is to clean up any clinker out of bottom of fire pot and  make sure air holes are clear, and that shape of finds and coke are in a inverse cone shape leading down to  grate of inlet, its the prelighting procedures that make actual lighting a success....

Ya'll must know some trick about lighting a quick charcoal fire I don't, the paper is pretty fast. I'd say I'm ready to forge in under 10 minutes. I'll have to time it and see. If the charcoal is quicker, I am willing to learn. Of course the paper is free, and some times if it aint broke, theres no need to fix it : ) .

It took me a long time when I tried to light my first fire..

Lite a large paper fire in the forge over the air hole get all of your junk mail and set it ablaze make it big the bigger and hotter the easyer it is to start it .. when it gets nice and hot put a shovel full of coal on it make sure it is a mound coal burns in piles dont be stingy with the coal, and crank the blower ! When you see yellow/brownish smoke coming from the coal it is starting to catch.. keeep cranking and dont stop until you have flames shooting out from your pile of coal.

I am laughing at myself because I was exactly where you were a couple months ago, I was soooo pissed I couldnt get the fire going lol.

It gets easy you learn what to look for.

eddie,its called diesel :rolleyes: put a little on and that charcoal will be blazin

Rhett: Do you realize you're advising people to do something that can have really BAD results? Diesel is one of the MOST dangerous explosion hazards of all petroleum products. It's far more likely to explode than gasoline. diesel, heating oil, etc. have an atmospheric saturation level that's smack in the middle of their flammable range.

What that means is putting even a very small amount of charcoal lighter fluid, diesel/heating oil on the fuel in your forge will send vapors down the air supply so when you light it ALL the diesel, etc. vapors can ignite. This is called a FAE device, that's Fuel Air Explosive, the poor man's atomic weapon.

You are a grownup Rhett, I hope and there's not a thing we can do to keep YOU from doing dumb things but you EXPECT ME to put up a roar of protest when you advise other people to do dangerously stupid things! What would you think if someone gave one of your kids or little brother sister, etc. a couple sharp knives and told them juggling knives was fun? Your advice makes me want to hand you an inflated balloon with one drop of diesel in it and advise you to touch it with a match. Don't DO that!

Eddie: Do NOT use accelerants to light your forge! If it pops you're lucky if it only blow the charcoal/coal/ whatever out of the fire pot.

Frosty The Lucky.

Rhett is by some standards an adult at 15, but not nessassarly in all places

Eddie, until I started using the propane torch with the air cranked up to light the charcoal I did exactly as you're doing with the paper.  Actually at first I was using one of those chimney starters you use when lighting charcoal with a grill with a couple of sheets of newspaper in the bottom, once the charcoal was glowing I'd turn up the air.  Then I wondered what would happen if I just piled the charcoal on the firepot, turned on the air and used the propane torch.  As everyone's already deduced sounds like there's an air flow issue.  Probably good to know my tuyere is like a grill vs. holes punched in a plate.

I once put a bunch of oil & gas soaked rags in a burn barrel and lit them on fire.  It was contained, but I'm not doing that again.  Scary stuff!

I burn coke (no coal) and to light it, I just build a teepee of half inch or so thick hardwood kindling on top of 3 balls of news paper. Once the kindling is half burnt and settles into a nice bed of charred sticks on the bottom of the fire pot, I add a full blast of air and cover with a layer of coke and go from there. Hasn't failed yet.

I usually soak a pile of charcoal with a bottom layer of newspaper/paper with some tiki torch fuel. Because it always seems less explosive than gasoline or lighter fluid and feels safer to me. But now im wondering if that is safe.. hmm.

I usually soak a pile of charcoal with a bottom layer of newspaper/paper with some tiki torch fuel. Because it always seems less explosive than gasoline or lighter fluid and feels safer to me. But now im wondering if that is safe.. hmm.

Nope, it's not safe.

If a person just HAS to use an accelerant try wax paper. A comic book page size sheet crumpled into a ball has enough hydrocarbon pizzazz to light really reluctant materials and a little air blast and it's a done deal. I used to carry a few sheets of wax paper folded up as emergency fire starters. I spent a good 20 years almost straight in the Alaskan bush and have had to light a fire in SE rain forest rain, interior winter cold using wet or wet and frozen wood for fuel. A little basic fire starting skills, see any Boy Scout Handbook and it never failed.

If you just have to use something use a little wax paper, it'll work a treat and you do NOT have to worry about launching your just lit fuel around your shop or blowing the impeller out of your blower or popping a bellows like a paper bag.

If you're NOT worried about using liquid accelerants to light a forge you need another hobby. And not only for your sake, you may burn your family or friends out while you're at it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Aw Frosty, you probably  also recon putting some bug spray into the air intake of the blower is'nt smart either? :D

For those of you lacking a bit of common sense----Don't do this! =poor mans napalm

Ian

I clear the fuel from around where the air enters the fire pot and build up a pile of wood chips and wood pieces, once the coals build up (fairly fast) start piling fuel around the edges and let it grow then build up the pile and bam hot fire :P leave a flame out the top to burn off a good bit of the smoke. I know this may not be an answer to your question but thats how i do it :)

Aw Frosty, you probably  also recon putting some bug spray into the air intake of the blower is'nt smart either? :D

For those of you lacking a bit of common sense----Don't do this! =poor mans napalm

Ian

You sound like  fun fella. Have a will? Make videos, we have a cable TV program featuring dumb ways to kill yourself, you could be a star. <wink>

I think our parents would've died if we'd grown up together. What's the greatest distance something you made go BANG broke windows? Yeah, I know about bug spray, orange cap Cutters?

Frosty The Lucky.