I Forge Iron

Finished Lawn Mower Blade Kinfe

poundhound

Happy Memorial Day, and I hope everyone took the time to remember those who gave the Ultimate Sacrifice for Our Country.

Had the day off and got around to making the handles and attaching it and putting in the brass rods. I used some old bubinga wood for the handle. This is the first kinfe I made from steel, and first handle I made and attached.

post-22169-0-67005700-1369712535_thumb.j

Kinfe is overall 12 inches long with about a 4 inch handle.

post-22169-0-44043700-1369712570_thumb.j

post-22169-0-88262400-1369712602_thumb.j

PoundHound

How well did it harden/hold an edge. Nice knife.

I don't know :-o

I annealed it prior to shaping then heated it to non magnetic then did an oil quench. Refined edge and honed it after that. I don't know how to test edge hardness.

PoundHound

There is no more knife chat,,,,we stopped it as there was not enough interest to continue. Basically folks did not appear to want to read the lessons we did each week. Which was the reason we captured every one of them and they are in the next thread down from this one. They will remain for the few that will spend the time and click and read. Keep in mind that it is simply so easy that I can do it and I am really old.

Hardening is one step,,,tempering another,,,hardening without tempering equals a very brittle blade that likely witl break in use.

I know you know this but it is covered in those lessons also....if you are interested in learning.

Sorry I did follow the instructions from the knife classes and after the hardening I did two cycles in the oven to temper the blade. I left that step out in my explanation.

I will check out the knife chat, so far I only knew about the knife class posts.

PoundHound