I Forge Iron

Boy is excited

Momatt

Wyatt and I have been working on his knife. Blade is cleaned up on the grinder, copper bolsters roughed out and he has picked mammoth ivory for the scales. I hope some day he gives it to his grandson and remembers making it with his dad. I told him it was magic, that the blood of each harvest would make it more powerful since handles made from the tusk of a great beast from another age. At nine the eyes get big and believe it all. I skinned my last elk with a smaller blade so this will be useful later on too.

post-29794-0-39300000-1369363232_thumb.j

This is a memory to last you both the rest of your lives. No doubt this kind of quality time will live on for generations in the knife. blade cultures the world over believe a blade has a spirit, often the spirit of the person owning it.

good on ya both.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

During the Winter months when forging at night, my kids and a few of their friends have enjoyed roasting marshmellows over the forge.  They get a kick out of seeing a glowing RR spike twisted.  Both of my older kids, daughter 16 & son 13 can arc weld, and when teaching the welding merit badge to boy scouts my son could pretty much present the safety demo.