I Forge Iron

My grandpas case

GRiley904

Well I was going through some things and came across MY GRANDPAS CASE. I'm not sure how many years he carried it, but it has definitely seen better days. The minute I held it I felt my paps energy and I couldn't help but notice the quality of the blade. I was wondering about giving her a little pep talk. Here is a few pics but I wonder if I should try to fix it up, use it as is, or put it away somewhere. It means a great deal to me regardless of actual value, however I wouldn't want to insult such a tool and I hear a CASE knife can be a coveted item. If I were to restore it what would be the best manner. One of the scales is broken and the other has a couple gouges, but it also has the badge and I could live with it. Or should I even try. Please forgive me if I sound ignorant, I've never touched a folder other than to use it and I'm new to smithing in general. I'm stuck here in northeast florida and don't have anyone to hold my hand, so I'm asking.
Thanks,
Riley

post-22734-0-93653800-1369269485_thumb.j

post-22734-0-59896500-1369269544_thumb.j

post-22734-0-08653500-1369269581_thumb.j

post-22734-0-89557700-1369269644_thumb.j

Good Morning,

You felt a tinge of your grandfather's energy, PRICELESS. If you make it better than when it was new, it would then not be your paps knife.

Enjoy life with the treasures you are dealt. Enjoy Paps knife.

just my humble $.02

Neil

The condition tells the story. It's your knife, restore it if you like, but then all that you'll have is an as-new knife just like all the others.

I had an old racing motorcycle that had been prepared by a famous tuner. It was special and looked different from all the others. When I sold it the new owner painted it in the original factory colours, so that it looked like all the other ones. I was sad to see this, but it was his property to do with as he wished. 

My advice :-  leave it as it is. If the condition interferes with the function, then put it away and buy another knife as a "user".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Well now I have a question about my dads case. He started noticing little specs of rust on the blade and asked me if there was anything he could do to stop the rust. He mentioned hearing something about stabbing it into a potato but I don't know about this. I was wondering how you guys care for your old non stainless blades. What do I tell my pop?