I Forge Iron

Smithing in the 3rd. world.

Wow! That was inspiring and embarrassing at the same time.. I may never complain about not having good tools again and I feel bad about the electric metal shears I bought last year. 

What you can do with determination and necessity is amazing.

Ken

Thanks for posting

Inspiring to see such effortless mastery.

Made me laugh though at 9.50 when the voiceover says "you need to be able to electric weld" and the man is gas welding...they made the same but opposite mistake in the "Full Monty" film whilst watching a clip of Jennifer Beale arc welding and saying "she's not much of a welder...her oxygen's too high" :)

Alan

Did you? I have just had another look and I will stick with welding :)

I thought one leg had been tack welded before they started and there appeared to be sparks popping off around 10.20 which I read as welding heat. The tack weld fillet seen on the back leg around 10.00 looked steely rather than bronzy I thought...mind you it is 4.54am here and I have been up all night trying to get my books done so my eyes are not exactly fresh!

Alan

Definitely welding @ 9:50.  They're using copper plated steel filler rod (the copper plating increases shelf life by creating a barrier between the iron and available oxygen).  The scale finish when they're done is a dead giveaway.