I Forge Iron

Wall posters

I'm looking for some blacksmithing and metalworking posters to put on my shop walls, anyone have any suggestions of handy or interesting posters?  One thing I thought of specifically was an old blacksmith shop price list from about 1900, anyone have one or know of one I could copy?

Thanks,

Justin

old ads from blacksmith and wheelwright magazine would be good (it was a large format magazine like a newspaper) also there is a neat poster of Peter Ross from his williamsburg days of him sipping tea that is good. should not be too tough to find some good shop pictures...

Greetings Justin,

I made copies from the Blacksmith Cookbook and A Blacksmith Craft...  Helpful information like  temper colors, steel gage, steel information.  slit sizes for  pass through .. ECT ECT..  This is wonderful information for reference and it looks good on the wall...  When putting on a demo you can show students many things right from the wall..  And my all time favorite that I came up with a few years ago.post-30666-0-96781600-1369182471_thumb.j

Jim

OK frosty have at it...LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Subway sub shops used to have old posters and adds as wall paper and table art. Most were subways but many were Sears and other add posters. I used to really enjoy the blacksmith tool adds. When you think a complete farm outfit for $5.00 +/- is a great deal, bear in mind that was probably a month or more wages for a skilled craftsman. As I recall the $12.00 outfit included heavy duty post vise, post drill, anvil, tongs, hammers, top and bottom tools, bender Hossfeld or similar, upsetting vise, wheel roller/stretcher/shrinker, mandrel cone, large rectangular forge with water pan, crank blower hood or side draft and stove pipe and as I recall 100lbs. metallurgical coal. Plus shipping. As I recall the adds were late 19th cent. just post Civil war, the closer they got to the 20th, the more expensive they got.

Gauge the wages by adds for Sears And Roebuck prices, the value of products were about the same as they are today. so if a complete blacksmith shop tool set was oh say $12.00 ask yourself just what the same thing would cost today and there's your conversion scale. A quick google search turned this up and my numbers above are from memory. http://www.searsarchives.com/catalogs/history.htm

Frosty The Lucky.

The other day I was down in Baton Rouge to visit OldnRusty. There is a pleasure for anyone to go by an visit and see some of the things that are going on. And there are some examples of gates with other fixtures as examples hung up to look at too.

But one of the things Dan has is something many of us would like to have in our shops. He has a great big poster that has examples of blacksmiths work, pictures and drawings, and descriptions. His poster is about the size of one of those "picture show" posters about the movie that would be showing. No, it was not in color, but black and white, similar to something that may have been used in the 20's 30's etc.

So what I am getting at is locating such posters as that. I see that the gallery has exhibited some photos similar to old world posters.

Carry on