I Forge Iron

looking for wrought iron

4 foot by 8 foot will probably be pretty hard to find. I would call up the "Real wrought iron company" I think they are in England. They re role plate and bar stock. They might be able to provide you with this.

Now if you are looking for 4 inch by 8 inch you can probably buy bar stock or plate from ebay and then forge it to size

If you are going to try to forge wrought bar to 1/6th of an inch (and yes, it can be done), be sure you start with a very highly-refined wrought iron.  A cut and bend (till breaking) procedure should show very small fibers (if any).  

Wrought iron can be bought on eBay (no listings tonight), but I'm not sure you would find highly-refined there.

I understand that it is usually on ebay, in fact I know that because every time I search ebay for anything related to blacksmithing wrought iron comes up except when I need it, go figure. I was hoping somebody had some they were willing to sell or know of some on hand. The reason I'm so set on wrought iron is the traditional 6year anniversary gift is iron. Thanks for everyones input. Sorry if I sound impatient, its getting closer to the anniversary.

They do make ultra low carbon steel called univit steel.  It is very easy to form and more forgiving than wrought iron it does come in large sheets.  Wrought iron is not really made anymore it can really only be found as rerolled scrap from England. 

Tim you can still get wrought iron in decent quantities from Old Gold Reclaimed Wood in Wisconsin.  The website is http://www.oldglobewood.com/real-wrought-iron-rods.html  I hope this helps.

Can't help with getting the stuff, but...

I've been gathering various bits of wrought iron for a while & have been re-forging them. The range of quality is huge; in the UK we had great stuff called 'Triple Best' which is wonderful, it moves like warm butter and sticks like superglue when welded.

We also had stuff that was used in huge quantities for fencing, which is very, very poor quality; it fractures at any heat and is very hard to weld, its full of inclusions too.

My point is, quality in wrought iron is nowhere near as consistent as in modern mild steel, so be careful what you buy and experiment before forging.

A last thing comes to mind - if you are looking for striations, why not forge-weld a laminated steel billet and acid etch it? This could be a more effective route that trying to source possibly unreliable wrought iron at short notice.

Good luck.

Tim you can still get wrought iron in decent quantities from Old Gold Reclaimed Wood in Wisconsin.  The website is http://www.oldglobewood.com/real-wrought-iron-rods.html  I hope this helps.

What I should have said is the place in "The real wrought iron company" England is the only place where you can call up and order a size and they will be able to make it for you.  Everybody else has scrap only of a few sizes. 

I have some stock I'm willing to part with but it's 

thicker than you probably want to start with. 1/4" - 3/4" x 4"x8" .

I also have other stock sizes but the bulk is 5/8"

to 3/4" round in 18" to 24" lengths

This is fairly coarse wrought. 

Ebay searches for wrought iron work best if you put "stock" or "lb"s in the header. 

post-4684-0-44128000-1369150920_thumb.jp

post-4684-0-37891300-1369151009_thumb.jp

post-4684-0-34422300-1369151123_thumb.jp

wrapped and forge welded bolt heads. 

What I should have said is the place in "The real wrought iron company" England is the only place where you can call up and order a size and they will be able to make it for you.  Everybody else has scrap only of a few sizes. 

Ah, now I understand.  Sorry for the confusion.