I Forge Iron

hello im new

I also am new to blacksmithing. But I have been reading these different forums and gained a wealth of knowledge. Read, read, practice, practice, and then practice some more.
There is something of interest for you and the disipline that you want to do. ( knives, decorative art, and so on.) Lotsa luck........crossdawg.......

Ther is a good amount of how to in the Blueprints section. Another good resource is this http://www.abana.org/resources/education/chf.shtml

The ABANA Controlled Hand Forging lessons are great-and FREE. They are all well written, by very accomplished Blacksmiths. Go through them, in order, and you will get a lot of knowledge and experience. If you have problems with something you are doing, post some pics and ask questions-there is a bunch of people willing to help-myself included. Good luck and enjoy your forging.

In real estate they say its all about "location, location, location"... In our physical world its all about "practice, practice, practice"...

IF you don't mangle some metal and make some mistakes you do not "learn"...

When its to dark to work at forge, read a lot, even if by candle light....

Dale

Welcome aboard guys, glad to have you. If you, my Ausi lad, will put your general location in your header I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how many members here are down under and maybe within visiting distance.

I think most of the important points have been covered already so I'm just going to reinforce them. There's nothing magic about this craft, it's knowledge and practice. that's it, some things will come easy, we all have knacks for something but other things will be harder. Don't sweat any of it. run into a problem you can't whip, bring it to us, we'll help if we have to make stuff up. ;>

Frosty The Lucky.