I Forge Iron

Rebar letter opener

eseemann

Here is a rebar knife (letter opener) that I started in charcoal and then worked in a gas forge. Nothing fancy but this is my first knife. Knowing that rebar does not have enough carbon to really get that hard is there any point in trying to heat treat it at all? 

thanks

post-35414-0-95647500-1368552775_thumb.j

When I make RR knives or letter openers out of HC spikes, I quench in ice water and do not do any tempering afterwards.  I've tested them by hammering the blade into wood and then twisting it side to side to remove.  Haven't had a blade or edge break yet.  I don't know how that would work for rebar, but you might try it on a test piece.

I think I might just do that. I just put a rough handle on a carving knife with about a 1" blade. That is from what I think is 1045 and I did the quench in cool water and it seems to be working for light carving.

I've gotten some rebar to harden. some stuff i picked up at home depot. There is different grades i believe and higher the grade, the more specific types of metal that are recycled to make it. Or you could just get lucky and have some higher carbon junk go through the recycling process. Ive made a few knives from the rebar that hardens. just for the heck of it. Nothing to sell or anything but just shop knives.

This is part something to do and part me wanting to be able to say if need be I can do this. I saw a thing on the news in the late 90's about a man in his 60's that makes knives and I thought that I want to know how to do that. 

When I make RR knives or letter openers out of HC spikes, I quench in ice water and do not do any tempering afterwards.  I've tested them by hammering the blade into wood and then twisting it side to side to remove.  Haven't had a blade or edge break yet.  I don't know how that would work for rebar, but you might try it on a test piece.

soft steel normally doesnt break....

any time we harden anything we need to relieve the stess that process created, its a matter of the physics..  Even an hour 325F bake, which wont reduce the hardness enough to notice, but will relieve the stresses.  Its all in the heat treating posts.