I Forge Iron

SUN in my welding helmet

Ive got a welders problem & I need a better fix

I am 30' in the air on a man lift welding structural Iron I beams for a house project

the sun is coming into the back of my helmet & I can't see the weld properly to weld good :(

the job is on top of a mountain

well my first temp fix was duck taping 2 clean auto shop rage to back of the helmet it worked 

for 2 weeks until a spark somehow found the rage's LOL carpenters can run darn fast when youre helmets on fire --  AW you know the story Hmm something burning somewhere ??? finish weld first then ck out , well taking helmet off found the problem LOL tore rags off no big deal IF you don't like fire don't weld or be a blacksmith !

anyway cking around for a leather back piece for helmet or something to fix this & No welding supplies

bis here has any Idea of anything to buy or where to go :angry: :angry: and I know there something out there

for this ??? for now will use a chunk of Levis cotton 

But would like some Ideas or where to get a helmet set up for outside work in the sun or ???

mite be doing a lot more portable welding this summer bridge work maybe :rolleyes:  

Greetings Ironwolf,

You might try the insides of an old motorcycle helmet... The pads fit close to you face and could be arranged so that you could lift your helmet..  You should have enough ventilation through the bottom... 

It's an idea...   Good luck     Jim

get a "pancake" welding hood. They fit like goggles and are protected on the high side of your head, if you are welding pipe downhand with cellulose coated electrodes which spatter bad they protect from that. They work moderately ok for fab work.

Check out the second hand stores for cheap suede/leather somethings to make a back flap, old purses work dandy. Till then make a saturated solution of water and borax and soak the denim, bandana, etc. it'll make it flame resistant. If you have points "red hot dingleberries" can catch against the cloth it'll still smoulder but it'll stink and not flame out. I got very alert to the smell of burning denim in Jr. high shop class, everybody wore frayed Levis.

Of course you could just keep a bucket of water handy and soak your head regularly. <snicker>

Frosty The Lucky.

i used my helmet to look at the sun last week, we had an anular eclipse, very beautiful.

my father in law uses a flap of leather on the back of his helmet, as he is a bald man, and doesnt have the insulation i do :P

it also works to keep out any unwanted light from sun/ flouro lights etc...

he made it from an old motorcycle jacket i think.

wool is flame resistant, so a bit of old 100% wool blanket, or 100% wool felt would work. it is used in flame resistant stunt and firefighting suits.

If you want the very lightest weight soft leather: get a piece of chamois, used to dry cars, available at any auto supply. 

Any thin leather will do: a cheap HF welders apron to cut up, a leather jacket from the thrift store, you could even go to Tandy and get a remnant. Or you could split a welders sleeve and tape that to the back.

I have students with dreadlocks. They get the welders sleeves as covers and poke them out of the back of the hoods. Looks like the Aliens from the movies. (Why did I get stuck with them, and miss out on Sigourny Weaver? Drat!)

You can also use a Green welding jacket. Cut it to the size you need and cover your head with it. I use a Huntsman welding hood and added snaps to the bottom front so I can add leather when needed. The green jackets are cheap and somewhat cooler than leather. More than big enough too.

Scott