I Forge Iron

580 lbs anvil need advice

Hi! I receive an email today from someone who wants to sell me a 580 lbs anvil. Its in decent condition but since it is 3 hours drive from my shop, I can't see the real weight.

The dimensions are 36" long and 6" for the table. I don't know the height. Does the weight seems right for the dimensions?

Thanks

At that size minor variations in dimensions will quickly add up to significant poundage.  6" by 36" is in the 500# ballpark.   Brooks tend to have a thicker horn and heel.  I'd go 3 hours from my shop for a 500#er at the right price.  Use it to make money and the payback time is fairly short.  

I'm waiting for the owner's answer about the price and I asked her if there are any marking on the side. As soon as I get the answer I'll drive the distance to get this beauty! I'm pretty sure it's a Brooks too because of the small pritchel hole placement and overall shape.

It's official I'm gonna buy this 580 pounds anvil in 2 weeks. The only thing I'm worried is how the heck am I gonna lift this monster? Anybody has an idea? I never tried an engine hoist. Can it works? I need to lift the anvil high enough to put it in a minivan.

Hoist and chain will certainly do it.  But be very very sure to secure the anvil once it's in the van.  Put down a sheet of plywood over the floor to strengthen it, and put another sheet between the anvil and the rear seats to spread the force if the anvil should slide forward.  You cannot have too much strapping or blocking to keep that anvil from going airborne if you have to make a hard stop.

Yea I planned to put a plywood board under the anvil in the minivan and I have some anchor points so I will strap it down to secure it the best I could. Thanks for the advice. I can't wait 2 more weeks to get this beauty... its torture lol.

I always slide the anvils as far forward as possible when I haul them.  I strap them right up against the front of the box of my truck.  That way, if i have to get on the brakes in a hurry, the anvil won't start sliding and gain momentum.  It's unlikely that you will be accelerating fast enough to cause the anvil to slide backwards...

I leanrned the hard way to strap stuff down-had something heavy in the back of a truck-tromped on the gas-it flew back, blew open the tailgate and landed in the middle of the highway. Oops! then you gotta figure how to get a 400 pound item back in the truck. Oh, to be young and dumb again!

Why are you wasting your time at the keyboard. Use your head that the good mother gave you and not your back. Bee safe, not young and brave (read stupid). Get it to your home, even if you have to pay for a truck.

geesh!! :wacko:

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

I finaly bought the anvil. Got it for 800$ CAD. It's marked 4 1/2 cwt with 88 or 8B I can't read. JB England under the weight. If someone reads better than me, I'd be happy to know the real weight.
The guy said that they weighted the anvil and it said 580 with the metal stand. So I guess 560 would be the right weight...
Overall the condition is pretty good. More damaged that I tought but not too much for me. It seems like they used a cutting torch to cut pieces on the anvil... In the hardy hole I can see a drop of melted metal.
The face is perfectly level. It rings like a bell! I'll have to put some rubber under the feets and bolt it tight to the stump to quiet it down. It came with these 2 tools.

post-9026-0-24436200-1368911361_thumb.jp

post-9026-0-52313100-1368911381_thumb.jp

post-9026-0-83824200-1368911398_thumb.jp

post-9026-0-63521900-1368911415_thumb.jp

post-9026-0-03620600-1368911484_thumb.jp

post-9026-0-81320800-1368911502_thumb.jp

post-9026-0-15707100-1368911521_thumb.jp