I Forge Iron

Okay Guys I need some help!

You can mount a wire wheel on one side of the grinder. Be careful-the wire wheel is one of the most dangerous tools in the shop. Between the wires flying out and sticking in your face and other parts of your body, or the wheel grabbing the piece and sending it flying, it a mean tool. Be VERY careful-apply very light pressure and avoid the inside of curves if possible.

You're very sensible about the safety glasses-NEVER work without them-it is way too easy to put out and eye in a shop.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Todd: do you know what the plane of rotation is and how it works? Visualize a bicycle without a fender on a wet road. You have a wet streak up your back, right? That's what happens to anything in the plane of rotation, it's in the line of fire for ANYTHING thrown off the wheel.

Wire wheels have a deservedly monstrous reputation for grabbing work and throwing it or dragging the operator into the wheel to be wire brushed into goo. Learn to NEVER stand in the plane of rotation stand to the side. Make it a reflex you NEVER violate. It doesn't matter what the wheel is, NEVER stand in it's plane of rotation, NEVER. Grinder, cut off saw, Disk grinder, wire brush buffing wheel, treat them all the same, like a DANGEROUS thing just waiting a chance to bite you. The last two, wire wheel and buff are the worst ad most dangerous but they all can punch your ticket.

Frosty The Lucky.

Okay, got it. I probably shouldn't wear gloves either right? I'm figuring if the grab a glove I would be in real trouble.

oddtodd out

Bingo, right in one. It's something I forgot to mention, gloves are a very bad idea and loose clothes are a serious hazard around ANY rotating machinery. Long hair! NO long hair or wear a cap. Getting your hair wrapped up in a drillpress is a poor method of home brain surgery. I WISh that were a joke. <shudder>

Frosty The Lucky.

Todd, 

Are you restricted by vintage what you can bring into the shop?

For tooling and such?

The foundry sounds rather modern....relatively speaking.

Some would argue that "blacksmiths don't wear gloves" but sometimes it's a must.

(I have a blacksmith buddy that grabs my hands after we shake to see if I've been working.)

I generally keep the gloves off while around turning machinery such as drill presses

and lathes. Loose clothing is also a bad idea. If you're not catching it up in something

you're catching it on fire. 

THe foundry is a design from the 1920s. So is the lathe. They didn't have a separate area for it, so it got stuck in my shop. It's separated by workbenches though so it's a distinctly different area. The blacksmith shop is 1800 to 1880. We use modern safety precautions though. I follow osha. I found a drillpress today too! I think it still works. It's a hand cranked monster with self feed on a weird type of clutch. It uses a crank arm that has adjustable pressure for the feed so you can hold thework with one hand while you turn the crank with the other. As soon as I get it hung up I will take a picture of it and post it on here. It's going to take help for me to hang it though. It's probably about 150 lbs and it's designed to be mounted on a wall. I gotta find a good sturdy place to hang it. I am going to cheat and get a chuck with a morse taper though because morse taper bits are really hard to find in my area.

If the vise is a leg vise, ie a vise with an iron leg, then that vise is mounted to something such as a bench or a post set into the ground, or some other method. The iron leg on a vise is not stuck into the ground. If you provide a picture then folks can provide their suggestions on ways to mount it. An iron leg on a vise helps support the vise, but is not by itself the way the vise is mounted.

Many old farmers and such mounted their vices onto a workbench side..with the post stuck onto a good sized piece of wood on the ground. The height was designed to do filing and hand work. The large piece of wood on the ground would absorb the energy that was sent down the leg as many time the vice held things that were "whooped" on. Probably there exists a better explanation. Grease the threads on the vise and the parts that go ut the front...that act like a spherical washer / bearing. Well lubricated will make things go much nicer for you.

This is Sat night and in a few hours the Mississippi Forge Council volunteers will be meeting to make you some neat toys / tools to play with. I can hardly wait. Others say the same thing.

Carry on

Well, here's the thing on the leg vise. I've got a real sturdy workbench to mount it to, but it's a brick floor. I don't think a brick will hold up to having a hole drilled in it then pounding on it. I think if I mount it in a piece of wood then drill holes in several bricks and mount them with tap-cons I should have something that should survive. EIther that or I am going to pull up a few bricks, pour concrete with a steel sleeve sticking up then put the bricks back. Do you guys think that would work?

David G, I cannot wait for my surprise! I appreciate you guys so much! I would never be able to get this shop up and running without your support and advice. All of you are proving what my case manager says. You give good, you get good. I do my best to give good every day, and I get so much good. It gets hard sometimes, but all I have to do is either talk to my soon to be wife, go to the museum and work, or get on here and then it gets better. I guess this is what it's supposed to be like. It was never like this before. I keep thinking I'm going to wake up and be back in my old life. I still have nightmares about it once in a while. I was coming out of the museum friday and I saw an old friend. He's still homeless. He stays at the hope house here in richmond. It's a homeless shelter where they give you a bed to sleep in and dinner. You can also get a shower and wash your clothes. He's been there for 2 years now. He's still sick. He has schitzophrenia. He won't go see the doctors at the free clinic anymore because he thinks the meds that they give him are trying to poison him. He is also scared because the government implanted a transmitter in his brain and the government is listening to his thoughts and telling him what to think. I gave him a cigarette and told him to go to the place where I go and they would help him get the transmitter out of his brain. It was kind of a lie, but they know how to handle people like us when we are really sick. I told him who to talk to, and he didn't have to trust anyone else. I told him that the people there knew about the government, but he might have to explain it to them so they understand exactly what is going on. There are nights I wake up so scared that I am back in the hope house or the hospital and it was all a dream, but it isn't. I don't know where to go from here so I'm going to stop. I am getting my airguns from my dad's house today and go starling hunting with my 12 year old son. This is my life now and it is so amazing. Tahnk you guys for being there.

Oddtodd out

..... with a steel sleeve sticking up then put the bricks back. Do you guys think that would work?

Find a short piece of pipe that can act as a cup for the bottom of the leg to sit in.  Then mount that pipe stub to a piece of angle iron or wood if you don't have angle iron.  And then attach the other end of the angle iron or wood to the led of the bench.  The cup/extension from the bench's leg supports the leg of the vise.  The width of the angle iron or block of hard wood determines how much the force is distributed across the floor thus protecting it.  And atttaching it to your bench allows both the attachment points at the top and bottom of the vise to float together, rather than possibly move in opposite directions.  A wooden block is more likely to compress over time and reduce how much it is supporting the vise.

oddtodd,

just looked at the map and found richmond. it is fairly close to troy, ohio. looks to be maybe an hours  drive. this sept  i and a lot of the folks on here  will be at the sofa convention. myself i know i am planning a side trip to see your layout before i back home. you may get some other visiters as well. if you can get there to sofa it would be worth you while to go.

seldom

It's great to see someone else from Richmond on here! It's also really amazing that there is finally fire in that forge again! As a kid, I often went on tours at the museum. The blacksmith was always my favorite part! I'm new to everything still also, but am willing to help in any way I can! 

Good luck and keep up the great work!

Matt

Well, here's the thing on the leg vise. I've got a real sturdy workbench to mount it to, but it's a brick floor. I don't think a brick will hold up to having a hole drilled in it then pounding on it. I think if I mount it in a piece of wood then drill holes in several bricks and mount them with tap-cons I should have something that should survive. EIther that or I am going to pull up a few bricks, pour concrete with a steel sleeve sticking up then put the bricks back. Do you guys think that would work?

You could drill the brick and mount a steel plate (1/4"+)with a hole or piece of tube welded to it for the base of the post leg to go in/through, drill and screw/secure the plate to the brick floor, this will help distribute any shock loading, otherwise concrete in a sleeve as you suggest.

GOt the post vise covered guys. I found a piece of oak in the wood bin in the barn that is rough sawn and measures a true 2 by 8 inches. I cut off enough to go from the back leg to the front leg to the vise. The facilities manager is picking me up a 1 inch floor flange tomorrow. I am going to drill a one inch hole down into the oak and gusset it with the floor flange. I am going to have to drill holes for the screws though, because this oak was so hard I had to cut it with a sawzall with a demolition blade. A circular saw just bogged down and refused to go any further. lol I am going to use 3 inch lag bolts to secure it to the legs of the workbench. I am hoping it will hold. If it doesn't I'm a lot stronger than I thought. lol

I would like to thank David Gaddis and the Mississippi Forge Council for the great tools they sent me! A spring Fuller, A hardy hot cutter, a hot chisel, cold chisel, slitter, a hold fast and  2 different kinds of drifts! OMG guys I am using the fuller already! it moves a lot of steel! I was demonstrating it to the kids and they thought it was too cool. Gotta remember to wear ear protection with that one though. It make a LOT of noise when you are using it. I tried the hot cutter too and it works great! GOt the stock nice and cherry and two knocks and it was through. Guys I appreciate this so much. You guys are the greatest people in the world! I am forging every day right now and my shirts are getting tight in the sleeves. lol Everything is going good with the forge and my Theresa is doing well after her hip replacement. She has walked 100 feet already and she just got it done yesterday! Well, today is therapy for Theresa so I gotta go.

Oddtodd out

We all down here in Mississippi wish you the best in your new found profession. The honor that we owe you is immesurable for the ones like yourself have given the world your best.

Please continue to make everyone proud of you...everyday. And remember...God does watch over you.

CARRY ON , friend!

So cool Todd, you are really rocking and rolling now! Give Theresa a big warm Frosty hug for me. This is one of those situations where everybody is a winner. you have a soul satisfying new craft to practice. Theresa is on the mend. The museum has a live sow on display to everybody's gain and we get the good feeling we were able to help and pay a little back.

This is just so good all round I'll be smiling every time I think of you.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well Todd,

I think you have quite the tool collection going-more than a lot of guys have. Lots of good energy put into the tools also-give you something to smile about hile learning.

Enjoy,

Mark

Greetings all,

My heart is warm with Davids gift,   What a guy...   I have done the same in the past but I always put a condition with the gift....  Always remember the past and when time allows make some tools for the next person who is just starting...  

I will carry on and continue to give back..... Jim