I Forge Iron

Okay Guys I need some help!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr David Einhorn, that was remarkable.
Mr Todd, its not everyday you get a gift like this. Not only the hammer but an unselfish act of kindness. How cool is IFI and its members?

Yup, wow.  *tips hat* to Mr Einhorn.  Well done,sir.

I am truly amazed by all the help and gifts I have recieved here. This will make my time at the museum so much more fulfilling. I already have permission to bring people in to see the forge, so if any of you are in Richmond, Indiana, or even passing through, let me know ahead of time and I will show you  my wonderful smithy. You guys have made this a dream come true for me. I feel like I have a place in the world when I am at the museum. I feel like I have dear friends here on this website too. I can already do things with metal that is the envy of the facilities manager. I feel like a kid who has been turned loose in a toy store and told to play with everything! I even got a project from him today. He wants me to attempt to make new hinges for the outhouse door. Yes we have an outhouse on the property. lol It doesn't work, but it's a real one from 1886. This all started from 2 days a week to almost every day. lol The more I show I can do, the more I get to do. I never thought I would have a place in the world again after Iraq and being in hospitals and group homes for so long. Now I do, and you guys have played a big part of making it possible. Thank you so much.

Oddtod,

Thank you for your service and committment to our country.Many of us are humbled in your presence. You, others, many, and my kids gave too. But today is your day. we are gonna do something good for you. It started already and is increasing, although you may never be aware of what is going on in the background.

But what we need is some pics, some evidence  of what gift are being sent to you are going to the benefit. Noooo...it is not the money. It is in fact a bit of baggage that we carry...the thoughts of you and others laying it out on the line...everyday. We are proud to be sponsors. We do desire to see a few pics though.

and I have a step son that was blown up in an IED. He is working...now every day. And every day is  XXXX!

Please continue to make us proud of you.

Now   

Carry on

Todd: It is we who owe you thanks and helping you is the duty and responsibility of every American. If we can give some back or help you on the road, it's our honor, duty and privelege to do so.

Thank you.

Frosty the Lucky

Todd, along with everyone else thank YOU for your service!

One thing I may pass along, all the punches/chisels and such you will need are fairly easy to make yourself - If you stop by an automotive junkyard, you can get some auto spring steel (coiled spring) free, or VERY cheap - thats been great for me for making my tools I need as I am fairly new myself - Also since I assume you have internet access (If you can get it by where you forge) you can find some GREAT information on Youtube (Especially look up Brian Brazeal's's channel) As much as I read here, sometimes I'm a little hard headed and SEEING it done helps quite a bit!!

Good luck to you, keep us posted on whats going on, and I agree, Pictures would be awesome as you grow as a smith.

Again, thank you for your service - We all owe you!

Thank you David! I got the hammers today and the book. I was sick yesterday so I didn't get them till this morning. I will be using them tuesday for my first tour of the week. I am so fortunate. I had to go home early tuesday because I was coughing very hard and I couldn't breathe. I went to urgent care and they told me I had bronchitis. I couldn't go in wednesday because I was off work till today. They let me work today since I didn't get to wedsnesday! I love this place! I wish I could work more often, but I have to take care of my, well I call her my wife but she isn't yet. She has to have both of her hips replaced due to avascular necrosis, and she said she wouldn't marry me till she could stand beside me at the altar. She is in a wheelchair right now.It's coming up quick though. May 13th. She gets her left one done first, then her right one. She has the same diagnosis as me, so we understand eachother bettter than anyone else can. I wear a wedding band and so does she so as far as I am concerned she is my wife.

I took pictures of the blacksmith shop today and I will be posting them as soon as the admin asst emails them to me. It should be tomorrow. I should also have pictures of me forging tuesday too. That is my first tour of the week. Actually I have 2 that day. 2 groups at 9:15 and 2 at noon. I will be keeping busy, that's for sure! Again, Thank you for the tools and the autographed book David. THey will be much used and enjoyed!

Oddtodd out

This thread brought a smile to my face. I'm constantly impressed by how genuine the IFI folks are. Time and again. And thank you, Todd, for your service. I live in Canada for much of the year, but I'm a US citizen. Several here have expressed their gratitude, and I'd like to add my name to the list. Best of luck.

Todd: I'm putting you and your beloved in my prayers. Ceremonies are for form, marriage is in our hearts.

Took a look at the meuseum where you work. Where the HECK are the pics of the blacksmith shop!?!? Let them know you have thousands of blacksmith friends who want PICTURES!

Frosty the Lucky

I took them yesterday Frosty. The admin assistant will email them today and i will post them on here. The website is brand new so they haven't got everything up yet. I took a BUNCH of pictures of the shop, but I ran out of time to take pics of the indoor blacksmith display. I will do that tues. I took pictures of a few carriages that are either restored or getting ready to be restored too. That's why thye needed me. I will be making the parts that are missing. I just need a lot more practice.

Sunday some of the members of the Mississippi Forge Council are meeting over at my shop to make you some "tools of your very own". If others want to come by they are welcome and can include gifts to be shipped Monday.

Oddtodd we all hope you like them.

This is Friday and I can hardly wait until Sunday to get started...so maybe I will start Saturday getting ready...

Carry on

Do you have a place to mount a post vise? I have a few extra ones in the 4"-5" range and I could send you one if you think it would come in handy. screws and boxs probably have some wear. I'll try and get some pics next week.

I got the chisel today Mark. It is beautiful. You really worked hard on it didn't you? How did you get the finish? I want to know how to do that. I am planning on using it tuesday when I have my tours for the kids. I am now going to create a gallery for everyone to see of my smithy. I have a few other pitures too you might enjoy. Hope you all like them!

Oddtodd out

That is one SWEET set up Todd! You've just made my MUST visit list, heck moved up a couple notches.

The melting furnace is usually called a melter or melting furnace. The molding area looks pretty complete, close enough I could do some mold making there. I don't know how you're fixed for crucibles, flasks, ladels, tongs, etc. The sand no doubt needs tempering but you even have a shelf full of patterns.

Look around for a high school metal shop teacher, casting aluminum was a main thing for us and I'd bet with shop classes being shelved in schools an old shop teacher would probably jump at the chance to work there with you.

Clean the lathe thoroughly before you try turning it on. A blacksmith shop isn't a good environment for machine tools, there's a lot of grit and acidic air to corrode delicate surfaces.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, I even have a pile of aluminum ingots underneath a HUGE belt driven lathe that people could use. I also have a hot suit, but I don't have a visor for it. If you could show me pictures of what you are talking about I could probably tell you if I have it or not. The old blacksmith knew how to do everything. Like I said though, this forge hasn't even been fired up since 1997. You should have seen how many dead mice and other assorted things I cleaned out of the chimney and ductwork.

Oddtodd out

Nice shop-and the anvil's a good one also from what the pics show. I just used a wire wheel on the chisel. Enjoy it. That style isn't hard to make-and they fit your hand well. I learned it from Mark Aspery-how to is in his first book. I have a lot of how to books on forging, and his is one of the best in my  opinion (and you know the saying about opinions). He's got some great how to on tool making and heat treating your tools. The title is Skills of a Blacksmith-Mastering the Fundamentals. You're a lucky guy to work in a shop like that one-it's a sweet set up.

Okay, I was looking through the shop today and I have 2 post vises. Do I just drill a hole in the floor and put the end of the post in? I have a very sturdy workbench to mount them to.

I have a dual wheel grinder at my dad's. Can I mount a wire wheel to one side? I'll have to hide it when there are tours. No modern tools and all that. I do wear safety glasses though. I refuse to work without them. I know it doesn't look old timey, but safety is paramount as far as I am concerned.

Pretty much that's how it's done-now that you found a vice you're all set to go from what I see. You've got a shop that many people would love to work in-with the tooling you've got you're well on the way to being able to make almost anything. 

Pretty much that's how it's done-now that you found a vice you're all set to go from what I see. You've got a shop that many people would love to work in-with the tooling you've got you're well on the way to being able to make almost anything.