I Forge Iron

Anyone going to Marietta, OH auction on April 27?

The big blacksmith/farrier auction in (near) Marietta, OH on April 27. I took the day off work and am planning to head down there. It'll really probably be my first auction (may visit at least one locally before then) so I'm not wholly comfortable being there solo. Just wondered if anyone here was going to be down there - maybe we could meet up and I'd feel like I have an ally.

Here's a link to the auction site: http://www.auctionzip.com/Listings/1637203.html

Also open to any tips on what to look at/for while I'm there. There is a TON of stuff going up.

as drewed says. there is hardly anything that is a one of. take your time. a lot of the stuff looks like it was used hard and put away wet. hard to say what kind of prices will be there. im guessing there will be some collectors for the anvils and vises so that could run the prices up. let us know how you make out. too bad im already committed for that weekend.

I'm not really going to look at anvils but of course I will take a look at the dozen they have. Going to try to rustle up a ball bearing to stuff in my pocket. What I really hope to come away with is the boring, basic stuff - mostly hammers and tongs.

But there is so much there, I don't know what I'll end up unable to live without. I like the idea of doing a lot of projects with rr spikes and horse shoes, so I may see how many of those I can grab, as well as some other random stock.

Trying to thumb through all the dang photos and develop some kind of plan, but I think it's just too much to see. Going to have to get there early and take a notebook. How early can you go to one of these? Wasn't able to get hold of the auctioneer today. Will probably try again tomorrow.

Bring a bag chair, a satchel of food and a good book if it's an auction where they move to the lots, set up where you need to be and relax till they get there.

As mentioned just because they say "Now 50" doesn't mean you can't yell out    "45"

Don't overpay.  I don't attend too many auctions anymore as I found them to be a waste of time with trashed anvils going for ebay prices---however there are auctions that are a good deal---bought my HB at an auction of an old HVAC company.  (They moved to their "new" location in the late '30's!)  No "antiques", held on a holiday weekend and the buyers were after the modern HVAC equipment and supplies; only 2 people even went to the shed with the anvil and forge in it...Not as good a deal on the heavy duty 5' brake for $15---the hydraulic new one went for over $10K! The old one buried in junk works just fine---I gave it to a friend but have using rights.

I'd go if I lived close enough unless Deb had soething else planned of course. The good advice given are the main basics. Get your head right, nothing there is a MUSt HAVE, I  usually wait till the autctioneer says going once, going, before I bid unless there's been no interest and I want it. Go early and do a thorough preview, take notes icluding the lot #. Before you go to the preview, take stock of what you already have, take notes and pics. Yes, notes and pics of YOUR gear. That way you'll know what to ignore unless it's a steal of a deal or fits your operation.

Hammers are good to have but you can make them so don't get carried away. Tongs are a ditto but more so, not only are tongs easier to make than hammers, they're excellent practice. I'd pass on tongs unless they're going dirt cheap. Seriously, dirt cheap.

I'm in danger of rambling this into a long long post, I've probably said more than enough already. Most importantly, have a good day, make some aquaintences and develop some leads. Auction companies are usually happy to include you in their mailing list, E-mail is how they're going up here. . . Oh WAIT! I was going to sign off for now.

Frosty the Lucky.

Frosty the Lucky.

Hi Boris, looks like a good auction! I'd love to go with you, but too far away for me. I've been to hundreds of auctions as I have always been a picker and trader. Get there early look things over and set a price/value on items that intrest you and do not get caught up in the bidding if someone wants to pay too much let 'em. There will always be other oppertunities. Sometimes on large auctions they will sell in two or more rings so it is helpful to have a friend. Also if you can buy something for a good low price that you can later trade for something you want you might consider that. I would like to hear how the auction goes if you have time to post! Good luck even if you don't get anything you may meet other blacksmiths or folks with something for sale you want. Have fun and enjoy!

Thanks for all the tips guys! I really appreciate it. I'm really excited about this. I hope to fill some *very* bare spots in my shop.

A local knifemaker is considering joining me, so that should be pretty fun.

Seems like all of the advice is ultimately "take your sweet time and stick to a plan." I can do that. Of course, if it starts at 9AM, and it's 2.5 hours away, and I want to spend a fair amount of time previewing...I have to leave my house stupid early. Maybe if I end up going alone, I'll spend a night in my truck at the nearest Wal Mart. Beats waking up at 4AM (I often don't go to bed before then).

Having never bought them before, what sort of prices should I expect (or definitely not exceed) for horseshoes and rr spikes? I can figure out other, basic stock and tools (having some experience shopping for them) but I don't want to overpay for this stuff just because of inexperience.

And I also wanted to ask, again because of inexperience - did anyone notice anything in the photos that is particularly rare, valuable (for use or future trade), or otherwise noteworthy that I may have missed?

Hi boris,

I've been busy but looked at the photos, overwhelming amount of stuff but I did see a Fisher leg vise parallel jaw with chain drive they are rare! As with any vise check the thread wear on the box and screw, I usually open the jaws part way then see if there is slop in the threads and with the chain drive check chain & gears. Value depends on size and the shape it's in but you won't see many of them. As for RR spikes and horse shoes the spikes I usually get them by the bucket for scrap I suppose that 10 cents to a buck a piece I wouldn't pay much more. One thing about auctions I forgot- if you're willing to hang out till the bitter end you will get better deals as the crowd thins out big time I can recall many times when there were just a few of us left and we stand there taking turns buying stuff for half of nothing then all pitch in to help load our treasures! I'm sure you will have a good time and score some treasures.I also always have a hand cart in my truck to move stuff. I'll try to look at more of the photos.

Well, the cats out of the bag.......

The old saying goes, it only takes two people wanting the same item

For example

5" post vise at a sale I stopped bidding @ $100 because a smith was there and needed a replacement

Another sale I bought 6" vises for $30 in better condition. No body needed one

Considsering the exposure this sale has had and  the size/amount of tools etc,  I would not expect many deals unless you wait till late in the day, and focus on small/common items.

Good luck

See you there

So here's how it went.

Plan was thrown totally out the window because the auctioneer changed everything randomly, on the fly. All of the individual lots were randomly picked-through, combined, and separated to form new lots at the moment of bidding. Most of what I wanted was thrown into a big lot with much pricier stuff I don't want or need.

The abused, barely-there bridge anvil was the first to sell at something like $650. The very rare post vice went for about the same.

I stayed to the end, hoping for a better deal on some specific items. However, the pace was accelerated by bundling several bundles to form mega-bundles. The guys with big money and huge trailers stayed to snatch up every piece.

I sound negative, but I had a good time, learned a bunch, and picked up a few things. Specifically, I got more horse shoes than I will use this year, some wagon wheel rims, some files and rasps, a few hammers, some rivets and nails, and some other random stuff thrown in with lots I bought. I did totally miss out on every railroad spike and set of tongs. I also got some non-blacksmith-related things.

Overall, I'm happy with the day. Less so with the sunburn I got for forgetting to bring a good hat.