I Forge Iron

decent anvil ?

Hi guys new to the game,acquired an anvil recently it weighs 170 kg and is 24 inches long and 20 inches high it has an odd cut out section on one side is it an old blackerhammer anvil and if so would this a good as a more conventional shaped anvil or would an average sized bloke like myself not have enough power to get the full benefit out of an anvil designed for a machine. cheers .

Hi Tony, it could be off a Blacker, the step is used for setting down shoulders or any other useful operation, at the weight and sizes you quote it would seem light for a Blacker, but they made many varied types and so it is difficult to say wher it came from. 

It should be fine to work on, just mount it solid and at an appropriate height for yourself to use.

Enjoy and have fun

Sounds like it's from a Blacker, and they didn't make shoddy gear.  For a bloke all alone, she'll do fine.  My main anvil weighs over 300# and I've never seen a problem caused by the anvil being too heavy!

The key is to have it bolted down tight to a stump or stand that doesn't jump around.  If the anvil moves when you hit the hot iron on it, you're wasting energy that could be used to move the hot iron you're trying to move.

Welcome aboard Ferretman, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in your header it'll make it a lot easier for folk close to you to get in touch. We all gain by contact with others, tools, skills, materials and occasionally a strong back. It's especially handy to have like minded folk handy for Saturday BBQs and getting rid of beer.

Frosty the Lucky.