I Forge Iron

LIbrary sale score

I've been hitting the library old book sale for a while now and hit this season's first sale yesterday. As usual I found some good scores from Clive Cussler adventure novels for fun, an archaeology book for my kind of fun but best of all was "The Kiln Book, second edition. materials specifications & construction." By Fredrick L. Olsen.

This is a super score, just the section on refractories has more information than a mortal boy could want. Seriously did you know one of the highest temp and most durable refractories is Uranium oxide? Gives me the willies thinking about it but  . . .

Hard backs are $1.00, paper backs are $.50 and the money goes back into the library.

I didn't see any blacksmithing books or other kiln books but they were a long way from unpacked so if you're out this way stop by for a gander. Heck, if there's a library old book sale in your neighborhood stop in, there's gold on those tables.

This also tells me this book was on the library shelves till they had to make room so going to the library is a good thing.

Oh yeah, this book is now in MY library so it's available to the guys in the club if you're making a gas forge this is the reference for you.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty,

Now we know that Saddam   Probably had a copy of that book so he was'nt really into WMD  he was into pottery :D when he was looking for enriched Uranium he meant oxygen enriched. :ph34r:

Hey Bryan, two days ago there was this kind of lumpy gooey brown stuff showing in my driveways but it's invisible now, under about a foot of new snow. <sigh> At least it's not below . . . That number I refuse to mention!

Scary refractory is right but I'm tempted to call around the pottery suppliers and ask. No, I'm not going to call E.J. Bartells, they just MIGHT have some on hand!

You might be right Ian, Saddam may have just been a misunderstood artist. . . . no, I don't think I'll start in on the "Kiln" puns.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ahh yellowcake; probably have some around these parts somewhere...

Just remember the *metal* is pyrophoric!

That would be the refined metal yes? I have a little trouble visualizing what a deposit of yellowcake would look like burning in the evening. I'll pass on the mine BBQ thank you very much.

Good to see you posting to our little corner of IFI, Thomas.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well, after 4 days of snow here in the interior we are ready for spring, once again.  I am very ready for spring.  :)

I'm ready for . . . That season that bears NOT mentioning! We'd had temps in the mid 40's and into the 50's one day and then it snowed hard for 3 days and the temps dropped into the single digits.

I did my usual and waited till I was pretty sure the major snow was over before firing up the OLD plow truck. So, of course it fired right up, I lifted the plow and made my first pass and that was that, the plow wouldn't lift or swing. Checked the fluid and it was good. Been fighting that 27 year old plow for days now and I'm going to take it into the shop. No, not the truck too, just the hydraulic pump, lift ram, etc. unit. Getting it off promises to be . . . INTERESTING, whoever mounted it or modified the mount put the hyd unit right ON the bumper! ARGHHHHH!

Hey, it's pretty darned nice out though, something like 37f right now and the temp is skyrocketing, maybe to the 40'!

Frosty The Lucky.

Ouch that sounds slightly expensive.  We finally are starting to thaw out looks like.  the roads are almost all down to dry pavement.  Some are still slick as owl snot.  I have no idea if owl snot is really slick or not just an old saying.  Gonna get out to the shop and put some stuff together and get to forging real soon.  Its time.

Yeah, keeping the old rig going is getting harder and more expensive. I'm hoping the hyd pump doesn't cost too much or it'll hurt the rig's resale value. Once we get a plow on the new truck we'll  be looking to rehome the old truck.

Frosty the Lucky.

Frosty, if you lived in Johanessburg , you could just leave it out on the pavement over night and some "f...."  ah, fellow would "rehome" it for you.

Rehome I' m going to use that phrase if you do'nt mind Frosty!

I'm afraid if you leave a pickup truck on the sidewalk overnight the local police will "rehome" it for you and bill you for the rent.

I see you're visiting the US. If you just happened to head farther north and west look us up, we'll light up the barby and open some brew. Heck, maybe even light a forge and abuse some poor defenseless steel.

Frosty the Lucky.

Good deal Bryan, things are starting to be civilized here too, heck the shop floor is starting to dry out! I'm going to go put some more time in on the new dies for the LG.

Tristan: I found that hoof rasp, right in plain sight. . . Of course. <sigh> I'm not moving it, it's laying on the shelf under the bench vise.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Tristan and Frosty.  I got the drill and saw all set up and just need to get a metal cutting blade for the saw now.  I'll be making some stuff in a few.  Shop need some work still.  But I'm getting there.  Do my once a year clean up and then get it all messed up again.  B)