I Forge Iron

Advice for a Novice

I'm not really sure what you call this hybrid, but I'd like to try to forge one soon.  Any suggestions on what to use, or tips on how to do it.  The dimensions are approx 6" from hammer head to ax edge and about 7 1/2 from claw ends to handle.

post-33263-0-58859000-1364230853_thumb.j

Biggin for sure you can forge a  piece just like this one or maybe even better, However most begginers have not developed body mechanics, forging skills, knowledge on selecting materials, workin methods of properly heat treating a tool like this or how to fit and finish the materials when ready to assemble. And all of this will need at least the bare minimum of shop set up. Forge, anvil hammers tongs, and hand tools to match the task.

The good news is that this forum has all of the information you can learn from to get you started on ta long term program to make this happen.

Just reading through this forum you posted in will show you by reading post from new folks and seeing how they progress over time.

Enjoy! And welcome to a new world.

Hammer/Hatchet combination tools of that design, were originally intended for use in applying Cedar Shake Roofs.

More recently, I've seen them used by Customs Inspectors, for opening and closing wood shipping crates.

Yep that is what they were . and now they are Zombie tools LOL ;)

Biggin for sure you can forge a  piece just like this one or maybe even better, However most begginers have not developed body mechanics, forging skills, knowledge on selecting materials, workin methods of properly heat treating a tool like this or how to fit and finish the materials when ready to assemble. And all of this will need at least the bare minimum of shop set up. Forge, anvil hammers tongs, and hand tools to match the task.

The good news is that this forum has all of the information you can learn from to get you started on ta long term program to make this happen.

Just reading through this forum you posted in will show you by reading post from new folks and seeing how they progress over time.

Enjoy! And welcome to a new world.

I've got the tools, I've been practicing every chance I get with a variety of alloys and different sizes of stock.  I've made several simple items, fire pokers, letter openers, RR spike knives, etc.  But this is a more complicated task than any of the others that I've just made as I went.  What I'm sayin is, I haven't started with a pattern and tried to copy it, I've just went where the metal has taken me.  I'm not close to any of the guilds listed on this website, so it's mostly just reading and then trial and error via the hammer for me.  

Yep that is what they were . and now they are Zombie tools LOL ;)

Zombie Tool is exactly what I thought when I first saw this!!!! But it's cool to know the history of the tool too.  

Guest Johnnie

To be honest I wouldn't like to try forging that after 2 year of forging (in my spare time, not on a full time basis). Try it and you maybe put off for good. Best walk before you run.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

John

Thanks for the words of wisdom, I've been weighing out my options and I've come to a conclusion.  I have a good understanding of splitting metal, I've attempted hatchets out of RR spikes that didn't turn out awful, tried out an overkill nail with a head about the same size as this hammerhead.....with some practice I think I could get the basic design roughed in, however, I think I'll just keep practicing the basics for now. What've been making has been getting a little monotonous, and I was wanting to try something a little different.  Instead I'll just browse the forums some more and come up with some better (easier) ideas.

Hmm... I would forge the hatchet with the hammer on the back first. Make sure the eye is big enough to put the piece of metal you'll use for your handle/prybar through. Assemble it, then forgeweld it shut, making sure it's a good solid weld. (That will probably be the hardest step in the process, you'll probably have to practice just forgewelding simple things first.)

Once it's all forge-welded, then go ahead and shape the prybar, cut the little nail puller into there, and rivet the handle on.

Like I said, try your hand a forgewelding first. You wouldn't want this to be your first attempt at a forgeweld. If the weld wasn't solid enough or something cracks when you're closing it, it could very well end in injury, possibly very serious.

There are lots of good forgewelding threads on this site and others, so look around and research, try something simple, then try to make this tool if you are successful.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not really sure what you call this hybrid, but I'd like to try to forge one soon.  Any suggestions on what to use, or tips on how to do it.  The dimensions are approx 6" from hammer head to ax edge and about 7 1/2 from claw ends to handle.

wow. that looks useful.   Axe.  Nail puller.  Zombie killer.  Dissassembly tool.   pry bar...   etc....   I like it.   

• 3 months later...

I like the looks of this thing too. Biggin, if I were closer to you I'd say lets get together and try our hand at it! I am wondering if you have made any attempts in the last few months since you posted your query? There is always going to be discouragement born from not succeeding, but where else would you be if you didn't try things you haven't done before? Good luck mate! 

The "Older" ones were made from Good Steel. One of the best made was made by  Bridgeport Hardware Co. and it was called a Tomahawk 99, hatchet hammer tool . there were a few other Co that made them also you can look them up on flea bay  there are quite a few of them for sale I still have my G-Paws Old/Vintage one I had to replace the handles as they were cracked and chipped bad. it is put up now my littlest Girl wants it .

Sam