I Forge Iron

how not to anchor an anvil

Built our new shop two years back and  "dry fit" equipment in different arrangements to facilitate the perfect work  flow. In old shop had previously mounted my main anvil on a 18"soni-tube formed concrete base.Stout pieces of angle with epoxied all-thread held it to the slab. Did same in new shop but while installing thought I would add a thick  layer of silicon caulking between bottom of base and slab in addition to epoxied bolts to further give me the best connection. Today,two years later, when I decided to move anvil to new location I realized I made a mistake using the siliicon , cant get it to budge. Hooked gantry to anvil and tried pounding wedges under base while pulling up with chain hoist, nothing doing. Shifted to hydraulic jack wedged under horn, nothing doing. I guess I will break out the jackhammer with a scaling chisel type bit and see what happens though I'm pretty sure I'll just bust up the bottom of the base and have to toss it. I think I'll go back to a stump base. My power hammer is on a bed of 6x6's and I also laid down a bed of silicon under them, makes me wonder how tenaciousy they are stuck down to the slab, though at least with them I could slide a long demolition blade on sawzall  under the sleepers and pry them up one at a time. At the time I wasn't sure what sort of a bond I would get between the two faces of concrete,now I know.

I laid my Trenton down in caulk the first time I mounted it, and it came off with almost no effort. The secret was not cleaning, dusting, wire brushing, degreasing, or in any way presenting a clean metal surface for the silicone to bond to!

That is funny!

Like others have said the silicon needs to be cut not pulled apart.

The problem isn't the caulk between the anvil and top of concrete base, it is the caulk between bottom of base and the slab. The slab was new and clean and dead flat, anvil base weighs several hundred lbs, anvil weighs 300 lbs  so collectively there has been maybe 700lbs pressing one smooth concrete surface to another smooth concrete surface for two years. Combine that to the surface area of an 18" diameter base and it is really stuck together, thats a lot of stuck surface area to pull apart and the fit is so close the layer of caulk is maybe the thickness of a piece of paper. It just occurred to me that maybe I can take lemons and make lemonade and after fabbing an adapter bracket  I can leave the base where it is and use it for one of my swage blocks or another leg vise!!  Actually I've been thinking I needed  to mount another leg vise for quite some time now so this is the perfect opportunity, now I'm glad I didnt go crazy with the jackhammer yesterday. Thanks to everyone for any and all feedback on this issue, sometimes all one needs is the passage of a little time to get the solution to a perceived problem and turn it into a nonproblem.Bob.

The problem isn't the caulk between the anvil and top of concrete base, it is the caulk between bottom of base and the slab. The slab was new and clean and dead flat, anvil base weighs several hundred lbs, anvil weighs 300 lbs  so collectively there has been maybe 700lbs pressing one smooth concrete surface to another smooth concrete surface for two years. Combine that to the surface area of an 18" diameter base and it is really stuck together, thats a lot of stuck surface area to pull apart and the fit is so close the layer of caulk is maybe the thickness of a piece of paper. It just occurred to me that maybe I can take lemons and make lemonade and after fabbing an adapter bracket  I can leave the base where it is and use it for one of my swage blocks or another leg vise!!  Actually I've been thinking I needed  to mount another leg vise for quite some time now so this is the perfect opportunity, now I'm glad I didnt go crazy with the jackhammer yesterday. Thanks to everyone for any and all feedback on this issue, sometimes all one needs is the passage of a little time to get the solution to a perceived problem and turn it into a nonproblem.Bob.

I like this solution the best.  Why destroy the best mount you've got?  Just re-purpose it!

The part of me that doesn't like feeling defeated would have a hard time walking away from that one.  After not being able to move it, I probably would have grabbed a sledge or jackhammer and busted it apart rather than letting a block of concrete get the best of me.  I guess that's why patience often leads to better decisions, nice job figuring how to re-use it.

Just put some pressure on it sideways and take a wire saw to the caulking. Using a cable is the same basic idea but you can buy wire saws at sporting goods stores, hardware stores or nurseries. These are the saws with a ring at each end you tie to a cord and throw over a tree limb so you can cut it without having to climb a ladder. Just don't stand under the limb unless someone is videoing!

Putting side pressure on your anvil will keep it from pinning the saw as the caulking is cut. Once in a ways slip a couple wedges in the cut to do the same. You don't want enough side pressure it'll fall over as the caulking starts to give way.

Frosty The Lucky.