I Forge Iron

The Most Usefull Tongs

Offset tongs are quite useful.  They work well with long and short pieces of stock since the stock passes the pivot without interference, so you can hold closer to where you are working than at the very end of the bar.

I have a couple pair of offset tongs that get grabbed first too.

Phil

Old timer as you progress you will find that the right size of flat tongs are the most versatile. There are many types of tongs out there stick with the basics they will serve you better. I would not want to upset with those tongs not enough holding the material. also with a good pair of flat tongs you can adjust the stock at different angles 180 degrees side to side and rotate it 360. and still hold the tongs straight in your hand. To change the angle of the metal with ring tongs you have to move your arm in awkward positions. There design is for a specific task. then there is gripping and hold power a flat tong has the most surface area. Keep your mind open and try all things before making blanket statements.