I Forge Iron

My other hobbies.

Weltall

I used to do a fair amount of shooting, small bore rifle and  pistol target. Got pretty good with my model 64 Anshutz rifle, at 25 yards off hand I could shoot a five shot group the measure 0.24" center to center in the "X" ring. Then with my Ruger Mark I semiautomatic pistol at fifty feet I could put all ten shots off hand in the "X" ring. I also had an 03-A3 Springfield with a "C" stock with a Lyman 1,000 sight and could put a ten round group in ten ring a 500 yards and all ten in the black at a 1,000 yards. It ain't all that easy to hit the target at a thousand. I have owned a plethora of handgun, rifles and shotguns over the years, once I added them all up and it was well over two hundred but those three have stuck in my mind the most. I only have one of them left now. I used to do a lot of archery but doubt if I could draw a forty pound bow now. Life sure changes on you. Enjoy you youth while you may.

Not enough time left in lunch to try and shuttle photos from phone to desktop but some of my favorite hobbies include:

photography

making beef jerky (and other dried goods)

cooking

shooting (.308 win, 12ga, .22 presently)

silversmithing/jewelry

and of course blacksmithing :)

i have done home brew beer with a few friends, but never on my own/for myself.

I've got some good Apple wine right now I make ,trade you some stuff for some Bees wax?

Hey Pug}{maN,

Let me poke around the cellar and see what I can find for wax.  I know I have some down there that has not been melted down yet, I just don't know how much.

It has been a bad couple of years with the bees and they gave me no excess honey last fall.  Hope to get into the hives this weekend - it's likely to be the last real warm spell for a while.   

I have never made wine, but the 5 gallon carboy in the picture is mead.  (It was delicious.) The 3 gallon was an amber ale.  I am going to be making another small batch of mead in the next few weeks.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

I have never made wine, but the 5 gallon carboy in the picture is mead.  (It was delicious.) The 3 gallon was an amber ale.  I am going to be making another small batch of mead in the next few weeks.

Bill

Hello everyone.  It seems there are similarities...I've been involved in apple cider and distilling for a few years, 2 years ago got bees, and this past October started wine and mead (6 gal of plum wine from my plum tree and 2 gals of mead thanks to my bees).  

How long would y'all recommend waiting before sampling...I was planning on at least 6 mo, but realize a year would be better.  I've heard longer for mead, is that your experience?

thanks

Howdy Fellows,

Beekeeping too. I think it must be something about the smithing then..

One of my dreams is to buy an abandoned apple orchard and bring it back to life. Then make mead and hard cider!

I do some wordcrafting, photography, woodworking too.Of course I fish quite a bit when I can, make charcoal, and pretty much make a nuisance of myself to the Mrs.

Keeps me busy in the off time....

Regards,

Albert

Photography(both film [especially b&w] and digital [playing around with PhotoShop], bonsai, computer networking (5, sometimes 6 or 7 puter/tablet/ home workgroup network), leather working (new hobby) and of course:

post-38-0-29576700-1359477354_thumb.jpg  post-38-0-32620300-1359478662_thumb.jpg

Weltall: Nice LeMans, BTW :)