I Forge Iron

My first completed project

OK... I', HOOKED! I completed my first project this evening. Before now all I had done was heat and beat on a few pieces of metal... the poker I had 'made before was just me bending a 90 degree hook in the end of a piece of 1/4" round. 

It's nothing grand, but I really loved doing it. It's my new fire poker/coal rake. it started as 3/16" round stock. I squared it off for most of it's length and in the process drew it out a little I think. Then I put a few twists in the middle, bent the hook and decided to do something different than just a plain T-handle or loop. I put a heart to symbolize my newfound love of my new addiction. I hope to get input on what I did wrong and/or right on this so I can put that knowledge together with my (miniscule as yet) experience to do better on the next one.

P122212_181901_zps0f1f2a2d.jpg

P122212_1819_zps2b410afd.jpg

P122212_1818_zpsf4e67d72.jpg

P122212_181701_zps374f9a13.jpg

P122212_1817_zpsf8ab59aa.jpg

Very nicely executed!  I don't see any flaws or faults in that at all.  Very professional.  The twists are even and you kept a good balance between too much and too little.  The heart finial is as good as I've ever seen, and I really like that wrap you did to decorate the joint.

Excellent work, LR.  You'll go far in smithing if you have that kind of capability at the start.

Welcome to the club, not only are you hopelessly hooked on fire and beating poor innocent iron/steel to your will but like so many of us you are your own harshest critic. I don't think there are many if any of us who can't find something in any project we could've done better or differently to better effect.

What you've done for a first project is just right, fire tools are excellent first projects and you've done some very nice decorative flourishes on this. Few things in life are as satisfying as using tools you've made with your own hands. I have no critique, I find nothing to do differently that'd make it any better. It looks perfectly functional. Win #1. As already said your twist is even, well proportioned and pleasing to the eye and hand. Win #2. Lastly your finial is also well proportioned, smoothly formed and the wire adds a nice " craftsman type, "as in, see the structural details" touch. It's also and to my thinking better characteristic of being functional in it lends your hand good purchase so you can twist the tool as necessary while being pleasing to the touch and without edges or burrs to cut or poke. This I think is a deluxe Win for #3

Oh yeah, you're a comer. If you and Dave get together I think there're a lot of us who are going to have to up our game. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.