I Forge Iron

Big nail

Sam Salvati

Got these nails figured out, I forge a ball on a stem using a ball spring swage, then just taper the stem and put it in my slowly evolving swage block
and head it over. You only need a hole in a block, not a header if your upset head is big enough to give and form a shoulder. Just mild steel.

66745_10200143870030450_957232672_n.jpg

61376_10200143870070451_1852482923_n.jpg

429406_10200143869990449_590628422_n.jpg

430816_10200143870270456_1073073316_n.jp

Nice job Sam, I made something similar at Stans hammer-in on his LG 100# power hammer. I kept what I called a pin with a 1/2" round had, made it using ball swage, round tapper, but now you gave me an idea for different application. Unfortunately after all the work I was talking to by brother in law and burnt the pin first in half, forge welded it back together, then burnt the head of it, and that was that. Started a new one since, with a square tapper, I wanted to make a spiral latter holder, also you could easily make a banana holder, cup holder, etc. I will try and finish my new one but not easy with out a ball swage, maybe my friend Stan can make me few ball swadges of various sizes (5/8", 1/2", 3/4", 1"), for that he already said I need to make a trip to IL.

Well you could as easily make them with a header and I don't see the advantage of a spring swage???  Just start with thick enough stock to give enough mass for the head and then draw down from there.  That's how I do it.  What is the difference between smashing a cylinder and smashing an orb?

BFNampa, I make them from the little lollipops because I use them for alot of different things, nice to have a bunch of pieces sitting around that can be turned into 10 different things from one preform, takes me one heat to make each one. Plus, I like the ball as it makes QUITE a good centered and very round head for my nails.

BFNampa, I make them from the little lollipops because I use them for alot of different things, nice to have a bunch of pieces sitting around that can be turned into 10 different things from one preform, takes me one heat to make each one. Plus, I like the ball as it makes QUITE a good centered and very round head for my nails.

Fair enough. I often prefer a rough or rustic rounded head... but I can see doing it your way too.  Thanks for sharing BTW! Your posts are always interesting!