I Forge Iron

Absolutely the coolest vice I've ever seen.

bionicarm

I've been working for a local smith on the weekends. The other day he showed me a vice that he has in storage....

post-26628-0-31861700-1354502266_thumb.j

I've heard of these but hadn't ever seen one before, I thought it was pretty fantastic. He mentioned being open to selling it, unfortunately I think that it would cost more than my current vehicle...and I'm kinda short on cash right now :/

I have no idea what the screws look like or anything, what would be a ballpark figure. He also asked me to let him know if there was any action on here about it. I don't know what he's thinking on price, just wondered what you all thought.

What is the jaw size? I had an 8" one that weighed 200 lbs I kept the 7" one. Those are good vises they grip harder than any other I have ever used. I do find a regular old blacksmith's leg vise to be more useful at the forge because you can clamp and unclamp work quickly. My double screw vise is more of a "problem solver" for big stuff than needs brute force applied.

There was a # 5 on ebay 7 inch jaws, looked to be in real nice condition. Had a "buy it now" of $465 it did not sell. It was missing the leg also but that is no bid deal as it just screws on

Here is the coolest vice I have seen this one sold for over $800.00

post-10376-0-98845900-1354983268_thumb.j

There was a # 5 on ebay 7 inch jaws, looked to be in real nice condition. Had a "buy it now" of $465 it did not sell. It was missing the leg also but that is no bid deal as it just screws on

That #5  has other problems.  The casting over the top screw was broken and missing on the back of the top part.  The threads looked very worn.  And that mean that the "nut" part in the top casting is also worn.  The price has dropped from 1100 to 465, and still not bids.

Condition, price, and location are key.

• 1 year later...