I Forge Iron

Good hunting knives?

Mrhappybottms

Hey everybody, I wanted to know what kinds of blades are good for hunting knives. I will personally be hunting Turkeys and evencually deer. Would a hunting knife used to clean a turkey be much different than one for deer? But I mainly want to get an idea on a hunting knife i can make. So please post some pictures of hunting knives you guys have made.

That's a wide open question. Everyone has a differant opinion based on personal tastes. For most of the people I make hunting knives for (the ones who actually use them) prefer a smaller blade. Narrow tang, full tang depends on what you want. If someone came to me with what you asked for, I'd make one with a 3 1/2" blade forged from a ball bearing for the extra edge holding the 52100 steel brings to the table. Steel types also are personal preferance.

Google my web site,,,Every knife I make will do well as a hunter except a couple of the large bowie styles. Just used one of my pocket knives to skin and field dress an antelope. and have done the same with a javelina. I have used alot of my hunter sot skin and clean big game. I have field tested my blades made from Stainless and high carbon steels, Withouit doing this I wouild not sell a knife as a skinner.

I have also used folders an skinners to clean a lot of fish. My subbestion to you is to buy a commercial knife froma brand maker,,spend fifty bucks or so, I like a drop point hunter...Use the knfe ans see wot it does and wot you would like if youi wish a change to anything about it. That will give you background if youi begin to make them,,then you can compare.

I've used Old Hickory butcher knives on turkey and even home grown chickens, but I prefer a smaller blade. Four inches is a good compromise lenght.

For the deer, specifically to open the belly skin without cutting into the carcas I like the point either lower than the midline of the blade or you can achieve a similar purpose by having a ridge/hump above the point.

Use no guard or a very small guard as a large guard can get in the way of your grip.

Here is a general purpose knife I made for a guy that shows how the hump can work. I fileworked this one which I wouldn't do on a skinning knife.

leftside.jpg

Speaking of skinning knives. Some folks still like the upswept style for removing the skin. You have to be careful opening up the carcass, but it can be done. The extra belly is useful for sweeping cuts.

left.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My Happy; If I get the job in Raton I'll be just up the road from you in Las Vegas New Mexico and can stop by and discuss blades with you! right now I'm about 15 miles north of San Antonio NM.

One way to get blade ideas is to talk with guides and hunters and ask if you can trace the blade of their favorite knives and write down what they like the best about them.

I make and use skinning knives,,I would not keep a knife that would not hold an edge.....MrH, keep that in  mind when you select steel for wotever shape you try....And good steels are easy to locate heattreat information on them.

You can make a knife from mild steel and put a nic edge on it,,,still not a knife.

Check out our knife chat in the forums if yoiu like,,we cover alot of items youi will need.

Personally when I was younger and hunting a lot I liked to have about three blades with me... one of the sharp finger (upswept) type, one of the drop point type and a folder as a third string spare.  I also liked to carry a small saw.  At least one extra blaze orange vest... because with a deer on my back I always felt very vulnerable! I also always carried game bags to keep the insects and dirt off the meat.  It is much handier to have a sharp blade ready than to have to resharpen in the field.  That way you can usually have the better style blade for each purpose to work with too!  I liked fairly short bladed knives (about 4" to 4 1/2" blades)... last thing you want is to wrestle inside an animal blind with a great long and sharp blade and your hands and arms all in there!  I once shot a 5 point bull elk just at dusk and gutted and hung him then boned him out with this equipment.  Just after dawn I took the last of 5 loads to the truck and drove homeward.  Butchered him by the light of a coleman lantern and a maglite.