I Forge Iron

Circular saw damage

yves

I am typing with the left hand. Only the left hand. Along with wood I passed a finger, the right index, on the circular saw. The bone was not cut. It could have been much worst. I was operated on. The tendon is back in place. I will get my finger back. i will not get back the six to eight weeks away from the forge the doctor condemned me to this morning.

I have been working with that saw for more than forty years. It seems like it was only a matter of time. It's my fault. The price is high. I was always carefull. Not enough.

Ouch, I work with circular saws and band saws and planers (among other machines) at my part time job, I have a very healthy respect for them, I try not to get my hands very close- I use pushsticks if my hands will be closer than 200mm and keep the guard well down when possible. It's the planer that scares me the most though!!
Hope you have a speedy recovery!!

As a man who has run a shop with all these tools for years and former firefighter/red cross disaster chairman I have thought long about the hazards involved. Rushing while tired seems to be THE worst sin of all!!! avoid that if at all possible!!!
With planers the greatest danger is kickbacks which will occur in an easily predicted direction... avoid loitering in the line of fire like it is poison (a distant cousin died this way... speared by a stick of wood)!
Jointers are more dangerous than they appear to be... when they eat a finger there is nothing left to reattach!
For tablesaws use featherboards or spring tooth guides rather than risking fingers. I used to make little oak fingers which I clamped in place for delicate control of even very small parts.

Above all else retain firm control. When tired and in a hurry, work with determined and very deliberate precision. When a difficult and possibly dangerous task arises think it through very carefully and take all possible precautions.

Did I miss something? How did the accidents occur so others might avoid repeating the same situations. I know it is difficult to type with one hand, but an explanation would help us understand.

For once in my life, not using a pushstick when I should have.

When tired and in a hurry, work with determined and very deliberate precision.

I would add stressed which was my case (a lot of work and difficult deadlines) to being tired and in a hurry and would also add that one ought to stop working. These conditions, stress, etc., will take your concentration away. I had worked all morning and with very deliberate precision as you rightly call it. It was a matter of an instant, a flash in time, one distracted moment and "slash"!

Yves- Glad to here you will have a full recovery... other than the lost time. Be patiant and take good care. Looking forward to seeing more of your good work!

Thanks. I spend my time researching what blacksmiths design and have designed. It's time to realy explore Sonn's book, Early American Wrought Iron.

hope you mend up good, most of my close calls,etc. were when tired OR crowding it too much. like any profession when you get too comfortable with it it will bite you. i've noticed on drilling rigs the ones that get hurt most are new or older experienced hands..but saws and such don't care who you are,what you know, they will bite!! so be careful-please

Pushing when you are tired or distracted is especially dangerous for people making a living from their craft the "I have to make a deadline---send it out---get paid can quickly turn into "now I have US$20K in medical bills and cannot work for 3+ months" which generally means their business if toast.

My grinder accident was when I was recovering from being sick and thought I could sit down and use the grinder to get something done even though I wasn't 100%. Luckily it wasn't too bad and covered by our HMO at that time. (and gives me another scar on my hands to catalog during long meetings)