I Forge Iron

hello there.
just started in blacksmithing and i am trying to order coal for the forge, because i am from Cyprus the price of coal is very expensive here because there is only one supplier in my area with no competition so he sets the price to one euro per kg so i thought it will be a better choice to order online a tone or two tones of coal from Alibaba.com. the supplier asked me some questions which i do not have the knowledge to answer.
the questions are: 1. coal fixed carbon content? 2. Sulphur Content? 3. Volatile Matter? 4. Ash Content? 5. Size? and which one is best to get,
Calcined Coal ,Coal,Anthracite Coal?

can someone help me answer these questions?

any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

In the Mediterranian?

Can you get lump charcoal such as used by restaurants for cooking? If lump charcoal is easier to get, it was the preferred fuel until a couple hundred years ago. Pound for pound it has the same energy content as coal.

Generally bituminous coal of low sulfur content is used, although other low sulfur fuels are suitable such as anthracite, coke, metalurigical coke...but these more dense fuels bring minor problems over lump charcoal or bituminous coal (electric blower requirements, heavier firepot concerns.)

Charcoal, bituminous coal, and breeze coke (lightweight, soft coke) can operate without constant air blast.

Phil

Here are the details on what is considered to be a top smithing coal in the USA:

Source: Penn State Coal Sample Database

Seam : Pocahontas No. 3,
Type : Low Volitile Bituminous (lvb)
Ash : 7.44%
Sulfur: 0.64%
BTU :14542
Volitile : 15.70%
Carbon: 92.42%
Reflectance: 1.85

However I'm with Phil it may be easier to get good charcoal than good coal in your location.

Dear 781,

Actually, I believe the binder in charcoal briquettes is actually corn starch. Still crappy forge fuel, though. Not the best for grilling either. Real men (and women) barbeque on real charcoal.

I agree that on Cyprus charcoal is probably the more practical fuel. If coal is used what is wanted is a good coking coal since you are actually burning coal rather than raw/green coal. I'll check my old geology references for the characteristics of coking coal and post later.

Santisfurnace, which part of Cyprus are you on, Greek or Turk? Availability of coal/coke may be different depending on which side of the line you are on.

Dissatisfiedly,
George M.

Welcome aboard Santisforge, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in your header you may be surprised to find out how many folk on IFI live within visiting distance. Sure, Cyprus is farther afield than most folk here are still you might be surprised, IFI has members all over the world.

Frosty The Lucky.

Dear Satisfurnace and others,

As I sort of remembered from my geologist days it is tough to tell whether a particular coal will be a good coking coal just from the normal physical characteristics. It has a lot to do with how it reacts physically when it is coking. Some coals disintegrate (bad) and some become more plastic (good). In general, though, a good coking coal has about 25% volatile matter, low sulfur (prob. less than 1%), is usually a low to medium volatile bituminous coal, and has a free swelling index of less than 4.

I found one old reference which stated that a good smithing coal was less than 1% sulfur, less than 7% ash, greater than 70% carbon, and less than 12% water.

Experimentation is the key. If you are having to buy it at a fairly high price and if you live near neighbors you might think of just buying coke itself. I have used it as my primary fuel for years. The main down side is that you have to keep some air blast to it all the time or it goes out within 5-10 minutes. Coal will continue to burn on its own. If you are using an electric blower you can leave it on a low level but if you are using a crank blower or bellows you have to keep at it and eat your lunch off the anvil.

Carboniferously,
George M.

i cannot seem to find where to search for other blacksmiths. what is the header Frosty?

Your header is the little section to the left of the text window, mine says Frosty, senior member, Meadow Lakes Alaska. If you click on the area to the left of the text message in your post it'll take you to your profile and you can edit it, just follow the directions or click on stuff and experiment. It's reasonably simple, we're blacksmiths not ITs. Now I'll get it from the blacksmiths who are ITs.

If you go to the site's homepage you'll see a section on the left titled "Members," you can look through it, check out a little about the guys and check out every post someone has made.

Frosty The Lucky.

You must forgive Frosty, you know how in blacksmithing we often think that bigger is better? Well once he took a sauna and instead of beating himself with birch branches he decided to do it with the tree instead...

Thomas who's day job is as a software engineer...and only has banging his head on his desk as an excuse...

Hey there,
I'm not sure if you are expressing a preference, but I imagine coke should be pretty readily available in your region. As for characteristics that analyisis above is a pretty good starting point. Charcoal is another option. It would be a tragic irony if you were unable to find charcoal in cyprus as that the entire island was denuded for the production of charcoal, during the bronze age. Take care, Matt

Dear John,

I think that your suggestion is about 50+ years too late. Just about everything marine is diesel now, even in the more remote areas of the world, There isn't a coal infrastructure left rxcept for electrical generation.

Anachronistically,
George M.

Dear John,
I think that your suggestion is about 50+ years too late. Just about everything marine is diesel now, even in the more remote areas of the world, There isn't a coal infrastructure left rxcept for electrical generation.
Anachronistically,
George M.

That may be so, but there are groups that keep the steam historical vehicles working, and they have sources for suitable fuels.