I Forge Iron

Champion Blower Disassembly HELP

smijman

First, WHY? If there is nothing specifically wrong, everything can be done in this current state. You can soak it and clean it just fine.

I would soak and degrease in this state then decide if I needed to proceed further. These things don't have seals, and they use bushed bearings generally so the setup is pretty durable.

Phil

The intermediate shaft, if you will, moves back and forth. Went i crank one way, if runs smooth. If i go the other way, It makes a grinding noise. I suspect this is from the large gear rubbing on the inside of the box. I wanted to try and put a washer or something to keep it from moving around.

Does it make the noise when the blades are in it?

I had a similar problem this summer. I solved it by tightening this bolt.

post-15814-0-13152400-1351634711_thumb.j

The slack was causing the fan to rub against the inside of the housing.

I had to take my blower apart about half a dozen times before I figured that little tidbit out....

On 10/30/2012 at 6:03 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Is it really worth the possibility of breaking the blower just to have it bi-directional?

If I can safely take it apart, yes. If not, then I can live with it.

On 10/30/2012 at 6:05 PM, Maillemaker said:
Does it make the noise when the blades are in it?

The sound is made with the fan off, and that bolt is full tight.

On 10/30/2012 at 7:02 PM, Phil Krankowski said:

As far as i know, that bolt is holding the fan shaft in position. If i loosen it, the shaft has a lot of play. I feel like it is set properly as it is though, now that I've fiddled with it.

Like I said, the problem is the intermediate shaft moving around. I don't see any way to take it out though.

you could cut out some 'washers' or shims out of some thin plastic like a milk jug. then cut one side of the washer and snap it over the shaft. repeat till you have taken up the extra space.

but I wouldn't take it apart.

On 11/7/2012 at 6:40 PM, smijman said:

get a parts cleaning brush and a gallon of diesel fuel/kerosene. slosh it around and brush it. no need to over do it. don't use gasoline! do it outside if you can. no open flames. be safe.

The nut at the bottom lets you adjust how much the gear on that shaft is engaged. If you want to take it appart you have to get that pin out that is sticking up from the side of the case. It slides into a groove on that shaft. You will also need to drive out the shaft. These things all have bushings and no bearings.

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/18101-champion-lancaster-40-forge-blower-restoration/#entry184212

http://www.iforgeiro...on/#entry184213

But what your going to find are worn gears most likely. If you do not have anything to fix it with , no sense in really taking it appart.

You also have to be VERY careful (I used a press actually on some of the bushings) or you will bust the case. Do not ask how I know this.

I had 5 or 6 of them before I started taking them appart to build complete units.

Also be aware that if you find others, make sure they are exactly like your . Seems they may have made left and right handed castings. I rebuilt one without checking only to find out the castings were backwards to my base (The red one) and now I have to find another blower case becuase my original one is cracked.

• 6 years later...

Cvmikeray I know this conversation is old so I hope to God you see this. I have one of these blowers and the gears are completely jammed I have been staring at it for weeks to no avail and I’m getting desperate. I cannot seem to open any of the images in these chats. I’m struggling to understand how to disassemble the gear box. If you could help me that’d be amazing.

Welcome to IFI... Have you read this yet? READ THIS FIRST    If you edit your profile to show your location you never know there may be some members near you that could help.

I doubt you will get an answer from the OP since they haven't been on the forum in a couple of years. Most pictures were lost on the old threads when there was an update to the site.

Maybe tell us what you have tried so far beside staring at it.:) Most blowers don't require disassembly to get them working. Have you checked the fan area for things like muddobber & mouse nests? Have you soaked it in a good crud cutter like Kroil, PB Blaster or a 50/50 mix of transmission fluid & acetone? I've even taken them to a car wash & pressure cleaned them then oiled well. If you could post some pictures (resized) so we can see what you are dealing with that would help.

I don’t have any good pictures right now only the one I put. I’ve had it soaking in pb blaster for a little over a week. I’ve been taking it out and tapping at it and jiggling the gears every couple days. Tbh I’m not even completely sure it’s a no.40 it’s only marked as a champion blower. But i got it attached to a riveters forge. The forge itself is pretty much scrap the fire pot is completely rusted through and the air duct is in pieces. 

426926DA-4A85-4088-9638-9BE3F92B0C0E.jpeg

• 2 months later...
On 6/23/2019 at 12:48 AM, Supaflupa said:

Cvmikeray I know this conversation is old so I hope to God you see this. I have one of these blowers and the gears are completely jammed I have been staring at it for weeks to no avail and I’m getting desperate. I cannot seem to open any of the images in these chats. I’m struggling to understand how to disassemble the gear box. If you could help me that’d be amazing.

Did you get the pictures to show becouse i cant seem none of then

If you can't see the pictures from the post dated Oct. 30, 2012 it's because they are photobucket photos.  Photobucket put a clamp on third party posting of photos on it's website.  There IS, however a workaround.  An extension for Windows PC's will let you view them, at least using Chrome browser.  The extension is called "Photobucket Embedded Image Fix".  I looked at the photos when scanning this thread.

Photos lost due to the software "upgrade" here on IFI are unfortunately gone forever.