I Forge Iron

Hand forged garden tools?

Howdy,

I tried a search but didn't come up with much in the way of pictures or information. Anyone here forge any garden tools (trowels, hoes, cultivators, etc.) that they would care to share pictures of? I am a professional horticulturist by trade. I currently manage a research greenhouse and plant transformation lab but I've done a little of everything from production to retail. I am just starting out with blacksmithing by taking a class from the Blacksmiths Guild of Central Maryland (which is amazing and I highly recommend to anyone in the area looking to try out blacksmithing) . I am hoping maybe I can combine a couple of my hobbies and use my new-found blacksmithing skills to forge a few of my own tools but I am interested in what other people have made because I feel like hand forging offers a lot more options than just cloning the cheapo factory-made tools that they sell at the big-box stores. I did find some examples of hand forged tools but I'm interested in any other information or pictures that any of you might care to share.

Also, you'll have to forgive my ignorance but should I be concerned with what type of steel I'm using to make something like a hand cultivator?

Some examples I found of hand forged tools:

fisher11.jpg
Beautiful!

pg401s.jpg
The description of these tools said they are hand forged.

SangHoe.jpg
Ginseng hoe.

Check out this thread of mine: http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/22597-the-scythe/ I also have to recommend this thread:http: http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/22543-of-shoesand-shipsand-sealing-wax/
which, IMO, is the most interesting in the history of IFI! It is LONG... and RAMBLING... but exquisite!!! Read it slowly and thoroughly and it contains most of what you need to be a real smith!

BTW I make some nice hand trowels for gardening and my wife would love to sell them for me but I have found that they are NOT a commercially viable product! By the time that I have forged them to meet her stringent requirements of amazing strength plus light weight and balance the effort FAR exceeds what any reasonable person would ever be willing to pay for! BUT they are like the Ulfberht swords of gardening, superior tools, available only to elite garden warriors!!
She did sell one to a friend as Christmas present for the friend's daughter, but when she asked how the daughter liked it the friend admitted that she had decided to keep it for herself and bought another present! I have had pictures on here but can't seem to find any of them now. I use good steel for these as the area between the blade and the socket needs to be extremely strong. To keep them light the blades must be forged quite thin, which is hard because as they become thin the steel loses heat VERY quickly! In the making of good tools I have found that the exceptional performance inspires people to use them in ways FAR exceeding the original design intent... thus there is need for QUITE a lot of safety margin in the tool strength!!! I have been guilty of this kind of mindless obsessive behavior myself... you just fall into a frenzy of hacking and chopping and prying and digging... and SUDDENLY you look down at your hand to discover the RUIN of a very fine and prized tool... destroyed by your own mindless Jihadic frenzy against weeds and overgrowth! Well, try for better self control than I have been able to maintain.

PTree has sold several hundred trowels made from RR spikes. He buys the spikes brand new and uses a powerhammer to forge them. Not something that is commercial using only "hobby" setups.

As for alloys: a nice stainless can be great for working in clayey soils (lovely description of a stainless shovel being used in what once was a clay pit in "An axe, a spade & ten acres: The story of a garden and nature reserve" George Courtauld)

Larger tools generally were high carbon steel and properly heat treated adding to costs for small scale production.

Definitely a market for "elite" tools but it can be hard to tap into it.

I have made and sold about 420 trowels from RR spikes as Thomas notes. I have done garden hand rakes, weeders, japanese style garden knives etc, but the entire lot of non-trowels sold is probably less than 30.

I have folks copying my trowels now, but all I have seen for sale were lifeless hunks of iron that were a poor imatation. One guy just press mashes a blade, and they look it.
Every one I do is froged by hand and shaped and ground by hand. Each balances a little differently, and at shows the gardeners pick them up and try them and will usually find one that "Calls to them". I use that in my sales approach inviting folks to pick them up and try them.

I would advise using steels that are tuff, not hard. I have seen folks stomp, kick and use levers on my tools and they are really going to be abused, so plan on that.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm excited to give it a try if I have a little extra forge time in my class tonight. I think I'll start with a cultivator and work toward something like a shovel later.

I'm not really interested in selling them but I think it would be cool to make a set for myself and maybe a set for my mom who is an avid gardener. I mean, what good is blacksmithing if you can't make presents for your mom, right?

Wood handles are best as they absorb shock that would normally transfer to your wrist and elbow. Metal and fiberglass don't do this near as well. I make garden tools to order. For friends and family members.if you need something in particular let me know. I use tool steel for all garden tools. My hoes and adzs can shape mild rock.

post-26352-0-41736800-1350563533_thumb.j

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...