I Forge Iron

can this be anvil

Yes, even though the face is small. The face of your anvil should be at least a little larger than the face of the hammer you are using.

You may want to cut the bar off flat on one end so you can stand it upright instead of flat on its side. If you burry the end in a log, and maybe some dirt to get the right height, it will be less loud. Drill a hole in the log first.

If you insist on using it flat on the side use some chain and bolts to pull the bar down solid to your stump so it cannot move. It will be much more quiet after doing this.

Since it seems you live in a rural area, look for a large chunk of heavy stone like granite or basalt. 25-50 kg (100 kg if you can manage it) with a flatish face. While not anywhere near ideal, it will work until you can get better. Rock will crack and spall under heat, but some types are more resistant than others.

Also find your way over to Anvilfire.com under FAQ's they have a guide on dressing anvil edges. It is worth a look. They do not permit deep linking, so I can't post a link.

You may also want a taller stump to set up on. Anvil height is determined by the body size of the person using it. When you stand upright, with your arms at your side, and your fingers curled into a loose fist, like holding a hammer, the anvil face should be at your knuckles. Higher, to about your wrist while standing upright is acceptable, but may be too high for anything but light work. Lower is useful for heavier work.

Stepping up onto something to raise your height makes the anvil lower with a higher anvil. A flattened mound of dirt, or a strong wooden platform of adequate size so you can't step off accidentally are means to adjust your height to the anvil small amounts. Other anvil heights can be useful, even on the ground for upsetting long bars has been used!

Phil

You and Powers would have people forging on stale bagles if you thought it would work.

Some stale bagles are impressively hard! LOL

The rock, and this shaft are both far from ideal, but without anything better available it will work, at least for small stuff.

Phil

If you cannot heat this steel how will you forge anything youi wish?
I understand that where youi live is holding you back a lot but youi will have to be very creative and find things you can use for a forge and anvil..It seems that everything anyone here suggests to help you does not work,,,I am lost in how to get you going.

Didn't you build a forge recently? I recall lots of questions about making bellows. If necessary a wood fire in a hole will heat that shaft enough to do basic, simple forging. Were I to need to use it I think I'd bend a few inches, say 9cm. of the square end to a 90* angle and set the other end in a wood block or bucket of cement. Just getting it to a high red or low orange heat is plenty hot enough to bend it though you may need a cheater pipe. Driving a couple heavy stakes in the ground will serve as a bending fork, drive them deep.

Once an end is bent all you'd need to do is radius the edges and get to work. The length will serve for a wider face and you won't have any trouble straightening on the remainder of the sq shaft even if it is vertical. If you just have to have a round horn use the shaft where it's round. You can either bend it like above and forge a section flat or just use it vertical.

In short, sure, you bet it'll work for an anvil, some boulders actually make quite nice anvils. The trick is finding a boulder with a fine grain so it doesn't mess up the finish on your work.

Frosty The Lucky.

iam prepare to make bellows some material need to come

Ah now I see it, you're STILL making bellows. They are NOT complicated things, you can use a paper bag+pipe or cardboard boxes and a little tape to make perfectly effective bellows. Try doing some web searches about 3rd world blacksmiths, smiths in Africa, India, the mid-east, etc. do some truly inspiring work with not much more than a hole in the ground and a couple pieces of bamboo with feathered sticks for bellows. Seriously, I find these guys to be truly inspiring, they have virtually nothing but their hands, skill and imaginations. For example, there are smiths in the mountains of Turkey who are copying AK47s, M16s, M2 machine guns and much more with scrounged steel, camel dung forge fires and not much but their skills.

Frosty The Lucky.