I Forge Iron

Finishing leather handle

Have just made a hidden tang knife from an old file, cut up an old leather belt that didn't fit anymore.
Good shape now but how do you polish it up all nice and that as mine looks a bit worn and all
at parts.
Has a shaped mild steel cap with bit of copper on the end, mad a guard to stop the leather out of a piece of the file I had hot punched.

Coming now, just working on getting em the right size, it actually broke in half the blade. Made it a bit too rigid for the original size I think. It was about 200mm long blade before.
post-24689-0-31886800-1349865912_thumb.j

Also going to make a one piece sheath for it, any suggestions on design, Have a staring wolf head or striking eagle stamp That I might stamp into the leather.

What did you draw the temper on the file back too? Files are too brittle as they come for knives; but you can draw them back *before* doing any other work and they will do fine.

As for shaping the leather most folks I know use belt sanders and other tooling like a shoe repair shop will have.

To finish nicely the leather style handle you did needs to be compressed really tight. if not it will always be rough. Best for now to scrap this piece and take lessons learned on to the next one. The blade broke. the steel remaining is the same brittle steel, Only time will tell but I know my thoughts on it..For me i feel project like this are a way I pay tuition for knowledge.

• 8 months later...

didn't have time to search all the threads looking for answers already posted as suggested but to answer your question , hand sand with fine grit, seal with epoxy , light sand and polish...........no pay tuition required :P   

I mentioned the tuition not due to the handle,,I am worried that the file used was not tempered properly if at all, It is too hard or it would not have broken,,,the rest of the blade is the same, If the handle is not permanently attached it could be removed,,blade tempered and refitted. Brittle knive are dangerous, No reason to make them,.

Aden: We now have a perfect example of why it's so dangerous to take just anyone's advice online. BCRob's reply shows he's either not paying attention or just a flippant guy. His, "no pay tuition required :P"  Shows not only a lack to  knowledge of bladesmithing and a shameful disrespect to a couple world class bladesmiths.

A too hard/brittle knife is a dangerous tool, not only can/will it fail in an important situation, it'll let go in a serious way, thing a piece of very sharp steel flying through the air, to cut you or worse some innocent bystander. Don't sweat making a blade that doesn't work, take notes of what you did and the results, we learn from mistakes and failures. I can guarantee Thomas and Rich have failed more times than you can count but the result is mastery on a high level.

Be very careful who's advice you take seriously. Rich and Thomas's opinions you can take to the bank. BC? is roundfile material, no help but potentially dangerous.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, I don't believe he didn't pay attention. It looks like he answered the question asked in the first place.

BC's help is good to go. No danger at all.

I believe you're right, I'll cop to the mistake. My bad, I apologize Rob.

I guess I'm the example of why you should be careful what you believe on the net, this time, eh? I'll go sit in a corner now.

Frosty the Lucky.

Lol it's all good, you just never know who's sitting behind a user name. I do however believe that there are way to many people out there that could give out some dangerous advice.

One thing I have noticed on this forum that I know bothers a lot of people, myself included is the fact that people are quick to avoid the question that usually has a simple answer. Just to go and type three times as many words to tell the user to "do there research" "if you can't help yourself why should I help you"

I've spent the better part of my life building things. From guitars to make shift weapons and finally knives. I can read a book ten times and honestly don't know what's going on in it. Sometimes it's a simple question to help with a misunderstanding that will get somebody over that little speed bump.

I read this forum and many others daily and I must say this one takes the cake in that category. Ask a simple question and get a snappy answer or have it avoided all together and hijacked with a random conversation. Look what happened to my last anvil ID thread? Ya I know it's cast and no good for real use. But almost nobody had anything to say about it besides what a useless doorstop it was. I believe one fellow pointed out that there was a foundry in the area it was made but that's as far as it went before it turned into a random conversation. I later found out from some other people that it is most likely a very rare cast anvil made by a small foundry in Guelph Ontario.

Back to the topic, I know it's an old thread but here is my answer to the question asked.

When I make my leather stacked handles I cut the washers to the desired size and slip them into the tang. Make sure you have some extras and try to use good new vegetable tanned leather for the best results. It's best to have a thread on pommel but you can also peen the tang like the older knives. Thread on your pommel and compress the washers as tight as you can. Leave that sit for a couple days. Take everything apart, epoxy each layer on and put the pommel back on compressing it nice and tight while the glue is still wet. Shape the handle and finish sand it down to about 320 dye the leather if you wish and seal with more epoxy. Sand it lightly and buff to a nice shine.

I do agree with the remarks made towards the temper of the knife. A brittle knife can cause some serious injuries.

Don't think I'm trying to pick a fight, I just wish people could just spend more time helping then not.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe you're right, I'll cop to the mistake. My bad, I apologize Rob.

Frosty the Lucky.

I got'a thick layer Frosty no apology required........I've read 1000's of your post Frosty in this short time, I respect your opinion and most of your replies !!    ;)

I got'a thick layer Frosty no apology required........I've read 1000's of your post Frosty in this short time, I respect your opinion and most of your replies !!    ;)

Oh great, now you're going to make me blush. You stand avenged sir!

I make mistakes all the time and if I don't fess up folk are less likely to point them out to me. We learn from our mistakes we just have to know about them.

Frosty The Lucky!