I Forge Iron

The 'Ohio Frontier Forge' is finally up and operational ....

There is something awe inspiring hearing the roar of the forge and the ring of the hammer on the anvil. What leaves one awe struck is iron, when put in a forge fire, seems to become alive. Iron itself is cold and hard. As the forge fire feeds the iron, the iron glows brightly becoming alive, pulsating with a white hot heat. The hard, unbendable iron now becomes a slave to its master changing shape and form with every hammer blow of the blacksmith. The piece of iron is bent and shaped to now an object with form and function.

200+ years ago the Ohio frontier was opened by men with daring spirit. They brought with them the survival tools, made by a blacksmith, necessary to create a new home. The crack of the flintlock rifle fed their families while axes and anvils helped build their cabins and make their tools.

Thru time these frontiersmen and their skills all but disappeared. The sounds of the settlers went away as modern progress leaped forward giving way to the noise of this modern age. But now …… the hills and valleys of Ohio again ring with the crack of the flintlock rifle and the music of the blacksmiths anvil, keeping alive these past arts and the mystery of forging iron. The Ohio Frontier Forge in S.E. Ohio has brought the past back to life, and it fills ones heart with gladness.
Ohio Rusty

Purveyor/Blacksmith
The Ohio Frontier Forge
S.E. Ohio
OFFForge_1.jpg
OFFForge_2.jpg
Buckrub.jpg

Congratulations Rusty! It's never too late to recall our origins, good on ya.

Hey Berryman, welcome aboard, glad to have ya. If you'll put your general location in your header you might be pleasantly (pleasantly is a might, believe me. <grin>) surprised to find out how many folk here in IFI land are within easy visiting distance. It'll also save us old farts from having to rely on our memories when traveling in your neighborhood if we want a tasty snack or comfy place to nap.

Frosty the Lucky.

• 1 year later...

It's good to know that there is another blacksmith down in the Hocking Hills. I learned blacksmithing at Hocking College, and worked with several great smiths in the that region. I'm originally from Bremen. Perhaps the next time im down home I could swing by for a visit. Good luck and have fun.

My shop is virtually all concrete and steel, ... and I still seem to set something on fire, every few weeks.  :wacko:

Mostly it's my shirt B) ... or hair ... or shoelaces, ... but sometimes, it's something important.

You can't be too careful.

You don't look like the blacksmith I know that lives there. Maybe he is your neighbor,,,,I don't know. He makes a living at it as well as tinsmithing. I mean...that is ALL he does. He don't have another day job. It **IS** his day job. Do you know Robbin Hood. THat really **IS** his name.................

I have also demmoed for the home school children, for years. I hope I don't have to do that any more. It is really tough. Be CERTAIN you have nothing about the shop you don't want them to get ahold of. Seriously......trust me when I tell yah!! I had one of these angels knock over one of my portable forges...............among other things.

And be REAL REAL careful what you say. I wish you luck,,,,my friend.