I Forge Iron

Forging an anchor...

Hadn't seen this video in all of my searches. Love the idea of hammering while the metal's still in the forge fire!

I'm thinking the odd bits of square stock welded into the corners were for adding meat to the joint, though I would have thought the welded mortise-n-tenon would be sufficient. Of course, they've probably made a few more anchors than I have, so I'll bow to their experience.

What I find most interesting is how, in both the hammer and tong videos, they work together without a word spoken between them. For the most part, the guys remain silent, each going about his task as needed and when needed. Even during the making of the anchor, things are strangely silent.

Oh, and anyone note how all of the european videos seem to show anvils in very good condition compared to what we see in the states? Odd that these anvils were made a century ago and still look new.... but our century-old anvils are chipped, beaten, swaybacked, and such to the point that we make a special note about the lack of such damage when bragging on the newest anvil acquisition.

Just picked up an interesting book -
Chain and anchor making in the black country by Ron Moss, Sutton publishing, isbn 0-7509-4221-5
Its only about 140 pages long but covers the history of the region with lots of nice photo's.Tools, workshops, women and childrens role, chain testing etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry that Bruce hasn't posted on this site in quite some time. I always found his posts fascinating, as they usually showed a glimpse of his vast store of accumulated knowledge. As a lurker and a dilettante blacksmith (and also a tradesman in a different field), I am always in awe of actual blacksmiths and their skill and knowledge. I hope that I will always keep my ears open and my mouth closed when in their company (except, of course, to offer to buy the next round of beers).

Early auto mechanics had to do smithing to repair early autos! I've talked to an elderly smith who's brag was that he could forge weld model T springs and not have them break soon afterward.

My 6.5" post vise came from an auto repair business that had been in the same building since 1918, they had a complete set of smithing tools *and* a set of wood working tools dating way back to repair the wooden bodies of the early cars.

My post vise had stayed in use and had a "well hammered" surface.

Everything was sold off when they ran out of great*X? grandkids to take over.